A/C cleaning/desinfecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a bit of an unpleasant smell from the air vents. Not the typical moldy smell, but a bit foul none the less.

Do any of those spray-in-the-intake products actually work? And if so, which one would you recommend?

You could try spraying rubbing alcohol into the outside vents with HVAC running full blast. Definitely a mold killer.

Are you sure your cabin filter is clean?

I've heard of people spraying Lysol in with the fan full blast. I'd think it would smell disgusting.

There are some purpose specific cleaners I've seen on Amazon. Which work without ramifications are beyond me.

You have to get the evaporator from both sides. The best way up through the drain underneath then another can down the vents and the heater outlets.

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-204/Kool-It+Evaporator+%26+Heater+Foam+Cleaner

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I've got a bit of an unpleasant smell from the air vents. Not the typical moldy smell, but a bit foul none the less.

Do any of those spray-in-the-intake products actually work? And if so, which one would you recommend?

BG Frigi-Fresh "will safely and effectively eliminate foul, musty odors from automobile air conditioning systems"

https://www.google.com/#q=BG+Frigi-Fresh&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p&tbm=shop

Ed

I used a meguiars car air freshener (frogger style bomb). It was $6.92 to be exact at Wal-Mart. It worked well

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Are you sure your cabin filter is clean?

Both cabin filters are clean and do not smell, but they are 3 years old, although I've only done 10K miles during that time.

I learned this a long time ago; make sure your vent setting is on "fresh" (versus recirculate) prior to turning the car off. Some vehicles have a well sealed evaporator housing that promotes mildew growth if constantly left in recirculate position. (no evaporation of residual condensate)

Believe it or not, this was on a tip sheet from the dealer from whom my 89 Honda Accord was purchased. I got into the habit of pushing the REC button before turning off the car. Took care of the mildew issue.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I used a meguiars car air freshener (frogger style bomb). It was $6.92 to be exact at Wal-Mart. It worked well

+1

I used Meguiar's Fogger on my truck last June when my AC had kind of a funky odor. I thought it was neat the way it works like a bug bomb with the AC on. The label on the one I used said it was "New Car Smell" but to me it was more like a clean air freshener smell or maybe a light version of a man's cologne type of smell, and to me it was not unpleasant at all. I found it at Walmart as well.

I also turn my AC to fresh air intake and spray a Lysol type disinfectant in my cowl intake vents. I use the green "Country Fresh" scent from Dollar General. None of it finds its way through the evaporator but it does keep the AC smelling nice. I spray it about once a month in Spring and Summer.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I learned this a long time ago; make sure your vent setting is on "fresh" (versus recirculate) prior to turning the car off. Some vehicles have a well sealed evaporator housing that promotes mildew growth if constantly left in recirculate position. (no evaporation of residual condensate)

I actually NEVER use the recirc mode. I have not used AC in 6+ months either, just fan. Still, there is some unpleasant smell, even with just fan on.

I ask the Autozone guy to find some A/C duct cleaning spray, and it worked for me.

I think it was made by Interdynamics, but I forgot.

Also, I replaced the cabin air filter. I got a Fram from Walmart, and it was far thicker than the OEM filter and a Mann replacemnt filter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I learned this a long time ago; make sure your vent setting is on "fresh" (versus recirculate) ...

I actually NEVER use the recirc mode. I have not used AC in 6+ months either, just fan. Still, there is some unpleasant smell, even with just fan on.

You probably checked this already, but is you evaporator housing draining properly? I have had the little drain hose get clogged before. If that's OK I guess there must be some cars that just grow mold in the housing no matter what you do.

Try 1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner through the center vents, vent intake, drain hose, and cabin air filter housing.

Thanks all. I picked up a can of 1Z. It appears that in case of my e39, the most effective way is to drill a small hole in center console (near foot well) to get directly at the evaporator.

Also need to check if my evap drain is not clogged.

I been using Ozium for about 10 years. Works like a charm. Put the AC on full blast and spray it into the air intake next to the windshield. You can buy it at Walgreens.

4138JxPWO8L._SY355_.jpg

The problem with spraying it directly into air intake is that it's going to hit the blower motor which is what I am trying to avoid.

You sure your smelling a dirty evaporator, they usually smell musty or moldy. It could be leaking which to some people smells like dog poop, it's an unpleasant smell and kinda unique if you know what refrigerant/compressor oil smells like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back