Kel Tec Sub 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these? I read a review a few months back, and was mildly interested. I've seen a few online, but they were all over priced. I handled one at a gun show yesterday, and now I'm more interested. Doing some more research, they appear to be rare. I'd like one in 9mm that takes Glock 19 mags since I have a bunch already. MSRP is only $409. They announced a Gen 2 at the SHOT show. I doubt that will help with availability.

I've got a green one in .40 that takes Beretta 96 mags, of which I have many, along with a plethora of ammo. It also fits in my Camelbak when it's folded.

It's cheap, but it's been reliable. Replace the front sight immediately; it's awful.

I wish Glock would get their act together and build a carbine.

They are still overpriced from the days of panic buying. You used to be able to get them for 299 all day long. They are good little carbines.

A friend of mine has one, in .40 cal using Beretta mags. It seems to shoot well, but it kicks pretty hard in .40, especially for a "long gun"! Fun to shoot.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Replace the front sight immediately; it's awful.

I wish Glock would get their act together and build a carbine.

The Gen 2 has a different front sight. Clearly, they agree with you about it being awful. I have no idea why Glock hasn't made a carbine. They'd sell everyone they made.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
They are still overpriced from the days of panic buying. You used to be able to get them for 299 all day long. They are good little carbines.

For $299, I would have bought one that day.

I looked at various 9 MM carbines, and settled on this Rock River Arms LAR-9 Carbine. I chose it over the Beretta, (too much plastic), and the Just Right Carbine, and all the rest. It was more money, but it runs flawlessly, and I like the fact it's machined as a dedicated 9 MM lower without the block pressed into the magwell like Colt, and several others.

I've had one of the KelTec sub-2000's for several years. A few thoughts, in no particular order ...

1) trigger is, shall we say, LONG in travel and a bit rough. Not unusable by any means, but not anything you're going to confuse for match grade. Did I mention the take up nad reset is LONG?
2) accuracy is good; it's a carbine, not a 300 yd tack driver. don't expect a miracle with subMOA, but it's more than good enough for fun plinking
3) ease of service; easy to takedown and clean. Bolt comes out easily, etc
4) Glock version; easy to come across mags, etc. For fun, get yourself one of the 32 round mags, just to brag!
5) because mine is older, there were not a lot of accessories for it at the time. The new versions have provisions for different guards/rails, etc
6) reliability; has cycled everything I've ever fed it with no complaints. However, I don't make a habit of feeding it HP bullets; most are RN, so feeding should not ever be an issue with those. I reload my own 147g RN sub-sonics for my sub-guns, and use them for plinking in all my 9mm stuff.

Overall a fun gun to shoot. The folding carbine is not exactly a high-demand item; might be a hot thing for protection details, but overall it's more of a toy than a practical item.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I've had one of the KelTec sub-2000's for several years. A few thoughts, in no particular order ...

1) trigger is, shall we say, LONG in travel and a bit rough. Not unusable by any means, but not anything you're going to confuse for match grade. Did I mention the take up and reset is LONG?

I've fired 2 different Kel Tec pistols. Both had triggers as you described.
Quote:
2) accuracy is good; it's a carbine, not a 300 yd tack driver. don't expect a miracle with sub MOA, but it's more than good enough for fun plinking.

Pretty much what I expected. I'm not looking to win any competitions. Just some fun.
Quote:
3) ease of service; easy to takedown and clean. Bolt comes out easily, etc

That's good to hear. I'm not a fan of complex guns.
Quote:
4) Glock version; easy to come across mags, etc. For fun, get yourself one of the 32 round mags, just to brag!
5) because mine is older, there were not a lot of accessories for it at the time. The new versions have provisions for different guards/rails, etc

I have a G19. I've wanted a 33 round mag, but I've never got around to getting one. If I can find a Sub2000, that might be the reason I get one. The Gen2 with rails does lend it's self to more options and more fun.
Quote:
6) reliability; has cycled everything I've ever fed it with no complaints. However, I don't make a habit of feeding it HP bullets; most are RN, so feeding should not ever be an issue with those. I reload my own 147g RN sub-sonics for my sub-guns, and use them for plinking in all my 9mm stuff.

Did it have problems with HP, or did you not shoot enough to know? FMJ is what I'd use most of the time.

Quote:
Overall a fun gun to shoot. The folding carbine is not exactly a high-demand item; might be a hot thing for protection details, but overall it's more of a toy than a practical item.

Fun at the range is the primary use. Thanks for the info.

Regarding the feed issue, I never used HPs in it, so I cannot comment. FMJ and RN are all it got, and it ate those with no complaints whatsoever.

When I got mine, it was the "full" grip version; it was for the 17rnd mags. I actually took a Dremel and CAREFULLY cut down the grip so that I could also get 15 rnd mags in it. You'd never know what I did; it came out that nice.

If you're looking for a cool toy with some wow factor, that will be accurate out to 100 yrds and be easy to maintain, then you'll not be disappointed one bit. I own a few KelTecs (S2k; P3AT), and have handled others. They are good for what they are; inexpensive and reliable. They are not top-quality with excellent triggers or match grade barrels; as long as you can accept that, you'll be really happy.

I always have liked Kel-Tec's products. With some DIY buffing and fluffing, they can really run smooth (and often don't even require that). I have a P-32 that I bought used, with who knows how many rounds through it (but it's well-used), and it runs like a clock. Most of the bluing is gone from the slide, though, and I may strip it and Cerekote it for fun.

Someone saying something Good about Kel-Tec?
crazy2.gif
Careful, all the Internet commandos will be *very* upset with you!
grin2.gif

I've had a Kel-Tec P-11 for about 10 years now, s/n would indicate it had to be made in the 1st year of production. Since I got the P-11 I've been intrigued by the little P-32 & P-3AT models. Recently I finally did something about that- bought an honest to goodness, New Old Stock, 1st Generation Kel-Tec P-32, made within the first 1-2 months of production. Blue steel slide, black grip. Can't wait to go shoot it.
I like the P-11; I'm plumb smitten with the P-32.

Hope you like your Kel-Tec carbine as much!
thumbsup2.gif

Oh yeah, lube, cleaners & maintenance stuff- I cleaned the P-32 very well last night, when lubing used Inox(MX3?) for oil, SuperLube synthetic for grease, & for external antirust, used an old-but-never-opened-before can of Kit caranuba non-abrasive car wax. Pleased to report the waxing went well.

Last edited:
If you're curious about what your P-32 looks like, I have some pictures from when I took mine apart to replace the slide stop lever:

P-32 picture gallery

I like the P-3AT, too, but what keeps me from buying one is the lack of a slide stop. The P-32 has one, and the P-3AT does not. A shame, especially since Ruger squeezed one into their copy of a P-3AT, the LCP.

Thanks! Even though your P-32 looks to be a 2nd Gen, I'm sure the photos will be useful- I bookmarked the page in my "Kel-Tec How To" folder, along with other photos, parts diagrams, & instructions.
FWIW- one of my brothers has the little Ruger .380, & seems to like it a lot.(Even if it *is* a copy of the Kel-Tec.
grin2.gif
)

Right now I'm agonizing over whether to $pend a little more & get a laser for the P-32- the discontinued, but still available, LaserLyte Side Mount. Should probably leave well enough alone, but have always loved gadgets.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back