Valvoline Synpower? Not a lot of info on this oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
just curious to get some opinion on what everyone thinks or experiences with synpower. i cant seem to find much info on it, other then that its a good oil for short drain intervals and that it has a weak add pack. i rarely see any info of it on here so just figured id ask some of the pros. thanks guys

It's usually priced higher than PP or Mobil 1 at Walmart, so I have no reason to try it. I think I may have bought it once when it was on sale. Everything I've seen on here suggests that the oil doesn't hold up well during long oil change intervals.

No reason to buy it when there are better alternatives for less money.

Well, here's one point of reference: it seems to have pretty low Noack. In fact, among the mass-market 5w/20s that disclose this info, the only one that I've found that is better is PPPP. Not sure this means much for everyday use, but it does suggest decent base stocks.

Actually you do see it on here a lot, just under a different name: Napa Synthetic

The problem with the name-brand Synpower is that it's inferior to M1, Edge, PP, yet it costs more than them.

However, the private label Napa version often goes on sale for $3.79/qt, which is a great deal for it.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Actually you do see it on here a lot, just under a different name: Napa Synthetic

The problem with the name-brand Synpower is that it's inferior to M1, Edge, PP, yet it costs more than them.

However, the private label Napa version often goes on sale for $3.79/qt, which is a great deal for it.

We will see as my current fill is with Synpower and I will be doing a UOA @ 6,000 miles which will be 1,000 miles more than the PP that I just had a great UOA with....I am thinking Synpower's UOA should be just as good as PP. Also, I don't think that the Napa house brand is quite the same as Synpower.

Synpower is equal to other brands its just not talked about on here as much as other synthetics. UOA i have seen look good and trending would look as good. I've used Napa syn a bunch and I really liked the maxlife full syn when I was doing extended drains on a car that used to leak some.
Some people don't like oils with sodium add packs especially if looking for coolant but that makes no difference to me.

Last edited:

Synpower is a great lube. IMO it is NOT inferior to M1, PP, or any other OTC synthetic. Synpower Is and excellent product, and IMO equal to the others. It always shows low wear in UOA's and performs very quiet in my engines.

As SLATRON said most here don't like it because it has a sodium add-pack. IMO calcium/sodium add-pack oils are just as good as anything else as far as engine cleanliness. Sodium is and excellent detergent.

As far as price Synpower is priced the same as all the other synthetics at my local walmart. OP if your interested in trying Synpower you don't have anything to worry about. Below is the VOA from PQIA

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/valvolinesyn.htm

Last edited:

What information do you have at your disposal that makes you state this ?? In what way is it inferior ?? And Walmart and Meijer put Vsynpower and Maxlife full syn on sale all the time, which makes them usually cheaper than M1 sitting right next to it.

Pretty much got it nailed down. Good for short drains is a stretch. Last Valvoline UOA I seen had the oil shear out of grade in 3000 miles in a grocery getter.

Forget about that junk. Spend a couple dollars more and use SOPUS or M1.

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
...other then that its a good oil for short drain intervals and that it has a weak add pack.

You're entitled to your opinion but it doesn't make you right. It is inferior to SOPUS and M1. Looking at a dozen UOAs from a dozen different applications tells you absolutely nothing. Sodium is NOT a detergent.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Synpower is a great lube. IMO it is NOT inferior to M1, PP, or any other OTC synthetic. Synpower Is and excellent product, and IMO equal to the others. It always shows low wear in UOA's and performs very quiet in my engines.

As SLATRON said most here don't like it because it has a sodium add-pack. IMO calcium/sodium add-pack oils are just as good as anything else as far as engine cleanliness. Sodium is and excellent detergent.

As far as price Synpower is priced the same as all the other synthetics at my local walmart. OP if your interested in trying Synpower you don't have anything to worry about. Below is the VOA from PQIA

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/valvolinesyn.htm

Valvoline Synpower: My fleet has great results here, Its kept my so called problem engine: (Ford Ranger 4.0L SOHC) with the severe chain guide problems,in great shape and UNTOUCHED for 150,000 miles. It's convinced me. I would buy this product even if it does cost more.

Bought some of the Maxlife variety last night at Walmart. $22.99. Never had a problem with any Valvoline product.

My local Subaru dealer uses Valvoline products and Synpower as their synthetic fill for oil changes.

They were using the Subaru branded synthetic oil previously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Pretty much got it nailed down. Good for short drains is a stretch. Last Valvoline UOA I seen had the oil shear out of grade in 3000 miles in a grocery getter.

Forget about that junk. Spend a couple dollars more and use SOPUS or M1.

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
...other then that its a good oil for short drain intervals and that it has a weak add pack.

I will be getting a UOA with mine so we will see if what you say is right or not....I like the way my vehicles run on Valvoline so I would be disappointed if I get a bad result with it.

Originally Posted By: bourne

What information do you have at your disposal that makes you state this ?? In what way is it inferior ?? And Walmart and Meijer put Vsynpower and Maxlife full syn on sale all the time, which makes them usually cheaper than M1 sitting right next to it.

Its additive pack is very similar to the following oils: Parts Master, Federated Auto, Peak, Pro Line, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Oreilley's, Traveler's, Auto Extra, Lucas..its not rocket science.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

Originally Posted By: Al

Its additive pack is very similar to the following oils: Parts Master, Federated Auto, Peak, Pro Line, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Oreilley's, Traveler's, Auto Extra, Lucas..its not rocket science.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

You obviously chose to ignore various comments that UOA only show in-organic add packs. Perfect example of judging a book by its cover. Not to mention your link is for conventional oil, not synthetic. Also surprise, the beloved Mobil Super 5000 has a very SIMILAR add pack, yet Mobil products get recommended and Valvoline products religiously get dissed on by our members. Sigh ......

There are a number of UOAs of Synpower posted here including one from our Forester which wasn't too impressive in residual TBN.
The Synpower SN formulation seems to be much better in this regard and there are at lest a couple of UOAs of this oil posted, ranging from around 7K in service to 8.5K+.
There are many more UOAs posted of NAPA synthetic, which is made by Ashland, has an additive pack very similar to Synpower and may actually be the same oil with a different label.
NAPA syn goes on sale for a thifty $3.50/qt a few times each year.
Synpower is probably the equal of any other OTS oil you'll find at Walmart.
You can even get it on clearance right now, dyed a pretty shade of purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back