CD4E Drain Plug Magnetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been performing regular ATF changes on my 2005 Escape by using an extractor to remove the old fluid via the dipstick tube.

This is really easy and convenient, but I've been wondering: if the drain plug is magnetic am I missing a step by not removing it and cleaning it of metallic residue?

Other than crawling under the car to get at the drain plug, one other downside is the maintenance manual's suggestion that the drain plug has to be resealed with Teflon tape to avoid leaks. To me this seems an opportunity for bits of tape to wind up in places they should not be.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

I don't know if the plug is magnetic, but I always feel that pulling the drain plug allows some particles to flow out with the oil - you could always fit a magnetic plug?

Teflon tape is ok for sealing threads, just don't go crazy with it or leave long strands hanging loose and you'll be golden. Also, think about which way you wrap the tape round the thread...as you refit the plug will the threads tighten the tape or try to unwind it?

I've used the drain bolt on probably 6 different cars, trucks. Never a leak via the drain plug,and that's using the same washer every time.

Install a Magnefine inline filter. The ATF flows past the magnet. When I change a Magnefine filter and take it apart the magnet is covered with a metallic paste, kind of like never-seize. Hard to wipe off your finger like never-seeze.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
I've used the drain bolt on probably 6 different cars, trucks. Never a leak via the drain plug,and that's using the same washer every time.

I would think in your case it was a bolt with normal threads. If they are talking about a drain plug, it probably has NPT threads.

Gee, I always thought fellas using the 'extractors' either didn't want to drop the pan or had no drain plug.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Gee, I always thought fellas using the 'extractors' either didn't want to drop the pan or had no drain plug.

Maybe. But many use extractors for oil changes, too. It's just lots easier, especially if there's limited space underneath without using ramps or a lift. And no need to worry about leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back