Do you have a favorite fanbelt brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change one of my belts, so I'm going to change them all. I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma with the 2.4 liter motor.

I'm wondering if there's anything different and/or noteworthy between fan belt brands and how they're made, etc., or are they all pretty much the same?

Thank you!

Ed

I have had the best luck with the goodyear gatorbacks. Not the cheapest, but the quietest. Just replaced the chirping belts yesterday, on my 97 corvette. The way they were chirping so bad, that I thought they must be the originals at 72kmi. But no, they were nearly new Dayco belts. Noise went away with the goodyears.

What's a fanbelt? I haven't had a car with a fanbelt since my 79 dodge St Regis.
grin.gif

+2 on gatorback. The rubber is more rubbery, they feel like a sticky tire.

As long as you buy the premium line you should be fine.

They use the same material for the most part. So economy line is older style (good for 60k-ish) while the premium ones use newer materials (good for 100k-ish)

Originally Posted By: Traction
I have had the best luck with the goodyear gatorbacks. Not the cheapest, but the quietest. Just replaced the chirping belts yesterday, on my 97 corvette. The way they were chirping so bad, that I thought they must be the originals at 72kmi. But no, they were nearly new Dayco belts. Noise went away with the goodyears.

+1 Gatorback.

Originally Posted By: Traction

It's possible your tensioner is bad if your new belt starts chirping within a short period of time. GM had a lot of those w/issues around the time period of your Vette.

Last edited:
Bando is another very good belt as is the Dayco poly rib. The Bando as sized on the money and probably the OE supplier on the Toyota.
Like someone said its hard to find a bad belt in the premium lines, i go more for sizing accuracy.

The Dayco's that you can easily buy at your local auto parts stores are perfectly fine, and made in USA. Also if it doesn't fit right, you can take it back and easily get one a little longer or shorter if you know how their part numbering system works (which is easy enough, but don't expect the parts counter person to understand it).

When I replaced my belt, I assumed it was original.. so I paid $80 for a Mopar belt at the dealer.

It turned out to be a Gatorback. The GF's brother recommended the brand to me before I bought mine, but I had a heck of a time finding one for my Jeep.
21.gif

Now I have a number to look for next time I need a belt. Lol.

OEM when in doubt. Using Dayco since tensioner is made by Dayco. My vehicle also came with Gates tensioner. Found the hard way Gates belt did not fit Dayco tensioner. Dayco belt did not fit Gates tensioner. They all make good belts but OEM is going to fit first time.

Gates or OEM supplier. With that said, I've been buying the cheaper O'Reilly house-brand belts since they are made by Gates but don't have the same tweaks as the Micro-V AT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back