Good starter Orbital Polisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years of applying wax,polish,sealants by hand, I'm thinking of making the plunge into getting an orbital polisher? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Meguiars MT300 and their new low-profile DA foam discs are quite the combination.

If you are only interested in applying sealants and waxes, I would advise against purchasing a DA. There is little reason to be using cream-type waxes and sealants these days when there are longer-lasting, and more easily applied products available.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Porter cable 7424. Very solid unit.

A classic, but fairly outdated and underpowered by today's standards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Porter cable 7424. Very solid unit.

I second this. I have the PC 7424 and a Makita 9227C rotary, so there are no swirl marks that stand a chance against me!

I bought one of the Harbor Freight orbital's and it works very well. Its a small one you can manage with one hand. Its not something I plan on using a lot but I needed to
do some serious polishing on the old Ranger and it performed well and was easy to handle. Forgot what it cost but it wasn't much.

The PC 7424 XP is a really good unit, but don't expect much paint correction. It doesn't take much pressure before it stops rotating the pad. Griot's Garage makes one that is supposed to be better as does Meguiar's (110v2), but I have no experience with either.

One I do have a lot of experience with is the Flex 3401, but it's much more expensive and is probably more power than what a beginner would be looking for.

I'm just looking at cutting down the amount of time it takes to apply and remove coatings while keeping or improving the look of doing it by hand.

I felt that because I wasn't likely to use it more than once or twice a year, I bought one from Harbor Freight. I don't know what advantages the more expensive ones bring to the table, but this one has worked fine.

I have the Griots Garage Orbital, works great for polishing and waxing
thumbsup2.gif

I have a Porter Cable Random Orbltal sander that uses 5 inch Velcro attaching pads (or sand paper). The speed is not adjustable, but it works great and is very gentle, as are most R.O. polisher/sanders. There are all sorts of pads available depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I think it was less than $80, but it's been awhile.

Last edited:
I bought the 6" Harbor freight one already mentioned but have not used it... after considering going as high as the ~$400 Flex. If you use a coupon you can get the HF one for low to mid $50 price.

Anyone have a recommendation on good bang for the buck pads for this HF unit and/or which spec pads one should have for the gamut of polish/wax, for application and buff?

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I have the Griots Garage Orbital, works great for polishing and waxing
thumbsup2.gif

That one seems really nice. Do you have the regular or HD?

For polishing/paint cleaning... the $40-$50 Meguairs Power Dual Action drill attachment. For applying paint, honestly, I just use a microfiber cloth that the cut into hand size squares and apply a beyond light coat of wax. That makes waxing very quick and easy. However, modern sealants like Meg's NXT 2 and Armor All Extreme Shield are beyond easy and quick to apply by hand.

However if you still want to use a machine, the $20 Turtle Wax Orbital cheapy you find at Walmart works VERY well.

Last edited:
Love my Flex, but it's overkill. I'd go for a harbor freight one now (they didn't have them then). I'm sure the Porter Cable and Griots are fine, but to me they are a marginally better product than the HF, and should go for a marginally more expensive price, say, $25 more. And they don't.

If you really and truly use it six times per year, I think you can justify a Flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back