Haggen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haggen bought a bunch of Albertsons and Vons (Safeway) grocery stores in Calif. My usual store is changing over this week. Anyone shop at Haggen? What kind of store is it?

Yep, same up here in Oregon...they are a Pacific NW chain so I like that.

Since they changed over there is more of an emphasis on "natural" foods. Some stuff is more expensive, some stuff isn't. So far the jury is still out, it is the most convenient location for me to pick up a few things (Costco is my main big shopping store, also a Pacific NW chain).

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Haggen generally has some of the highest prices in town.

I won't shop there.

Interestingly enough, Oregon Live did a price comparisson on some basic items and found Haggen to be cheaper than Safeway, Albertsons, and Fred Meyer. But like I said, some things are cheaper and some are more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Aldi FTW!

Nobody on the West Coast cares

Originally Posted By: tom slick
No Aldi in my area but we have Trader Joe's. My choices are Haggen, Albertsons, Food for Less, Smart & Final, and Trader Joe's.

Down here in Orange County we have Albertsons, Ralphs, Von-Pavillions, Kroger and Trader Joe's. No Aldi nor Haggen. We have Food for Less and Smart & Final but never shopping there.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I pity the fool that doesn't know Wegmans.

Shopping at Wegmans is always an enjoyable adventure.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Aldi FTW!

Nobody on the West Coast cares

Trader Joe's==Aldi

Most of my shopping is done there or at Whole Foods or Costco(yes, as a bachelor). The Lucky and Safeway near me are meh.

In our area, S Cal, the new stand alone Walmart grocery stores are putting stores like Albertson's out of business by moving nearby.

Stores like Albertson's pay higher wages and benefits by offering people real full time jobs. Because of this they won't last long now that Walmart is going into the stand along grocery store business.

One Alberson's manager that works out at the same gym I frequent told me if they were a stand along one store business they would have been gone last year because of the new neighbor, Walmart. He has his new job already lined up and has his house on the market. He told me he was offered a job as a Walmart store manager but would not be able to keep his house or continue to fund his retirement on the new salary.

I'm wondering how Walmart's investigation into opening their own gas stations is going?

My wife is a pretty sharp shopper and likes Aldi and loves Trader Joes. Since they came to Minnesota that Calif entity has grabbed most of her business away from the local operations.

I hadn't heard of Haggen.

"BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) - The Washington state-based grocery chain Haggen Inc. plans to buy 146 Albertsons and Safeway stores in Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada and Arizona.

The Bellingham Herald reports the sales are required under the federal review of Safeway's sale to an investment group that owns Albertsons.

If Haggen's plans announced Friday get Federal Trade Commission approval, the Bellingham-based company would expand from 18 stores and 16 pharmacies in the Northwest to 164 stores and 106 pharmacies in the five states."

Originally Posted By: tom slick
No Aldi in my area but we have Trader Joe's. My choices are Haggen, Albertsons, Food for Less, Smart & Final, and Trader Joe's.

We have food for less here they generally have good prices on fresh produce

I shopped at the Haggen today but other than the signage being different the store hasn't made a big change yet. All of the old Safeway branded stuff is on clearance. I was told the big change is in about a month.

One funny thing I noticed is the soft drink aisle is labeled "Pop". Nobody around here calls it pop.

I don't know when our Safeway will be affected. I enjoy the fuel discount program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back