2011 Ram 1500 changed gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally got around to changing the rear diff on my truck. I read a few things about the 2011's changing rear axle manufacture, from AAM to ZF. I heard there were a few recalls on this axle, initially due to the fill port being to low (apparently the factory was then overfilling to compensate), second the cover being an odd shape and causing oiling issues, etc. Mine was built January of 2011 so it apparently has the fill hole in the correct location and the dealer says the only thing done to mine was a restriction plug installed to keep oil on the pinion.

So I was gearing up for a fight to remove the fill/drain plugs. They require a 14mm hex, not 9/16 or anything else. I used a snipe but they released without any drama. That was a first. Ever. On level ground I opened the fill port and approx. 400ml of oil came out. I figured [censored] as the oil was marginally warmer than ambient, so maybe 10 to 15C. I dont think the thermal expansion of the gear oil at that temp would be that much. Was it factory overfilled? Who the [censored] knows. I filled her up and then topped it off with 400ml from the vent tube. I will burn some miles on her and if there is no growling or the truck doesnt catapult off the driveshaft it will be a success.

The transfer case was uneventful and is full of Amsoil now. Next up is the front diff when I got time.

Anyone else have experience with the early model ZF 9 1/4 axles?

The 2011 RAM 1500 manual says this > The fluid level should be 5/8 in (16 mm) below the fill hole on 9 1/4 in manufacturer’s rear axles.
On my 2014 RAM 1500 the manual says fluid should be level with bottom of fill hole.
How something so simple as rear end fluid level in these trucks has gotten so screwed up is beyond me. The old days it was simple, put gear oil in until it runs out of fill hole...done.

My 08WK used a chryco corporate axle IIRC with the aluminum axle tubes. While I didn't have nay trouble with mine, a local mechanic told me they have had several come in for failures associated with the axle housings being off spec and causing repeated failures. They stopped doing work on them and would only do replacement axles after that. Every manufacturer seems to have their issues with axles, but the chryco family seems to have perhaps a slightly higher rate?

Well so far after 60+km of highway driving the rear end never puked. So whether the drain plug is wrong or I was wrong in added extra fluid, who knows. If it stays together then who cares I guess.

In 2 weeks or so we will have it loaded with about 10,000 pounds of trailer and horses. If it pukes then Chrysler can come get it.

Again I wonder how or where things went wrong with just having a simple fill and drain plug. My Trailblazer required the cover to come off and then the aggravation of removing a steel plug from an aluminum housing with no sealer or anti seize used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back