Thanks BITOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say thanks. When I came here I was strictly a 3 month / 3000 mile OCI kind of a guy. I have learned much being on this forum, and have had some opportunities to contribute as well. I know it sounds ridiculous to most of you but I will be doing my first 5000 OCI ever on my Accord. For the majority of my ownership (3 years / 30,000 miles) it got 3 month / 3000 mile OCI's, but since being on BITOG, and doing a couple UOA's I have gained the confidence to run it out to 5000 miles. It will be more like 5100-5200 miles once I get around to changing it. This will add up to a 7 month OCI, double what I was doing not too long ago. I am looking forward to the UOA, hopefully it will be nice and boring
wink.gif
. Just wanted to share, most of you may think Im silly but thats ok, aren't we all?

Edit: I already have TGMO 0w20 and a fresh Fram Ultra waiting to go in for another 5K OCI. This will be performed at 130,000 miles. The M1 AFE 0w20 will have been in for around 7 months / 5100 miles (most of those being short trips to work). Stay tuned for a UOA.

Last edited:
Irksome that the oil companies' ads still push the 3000 mile, 3 month oil change.

I also was a 3000 mile guy until I got educated here. Back in the late '70s I changed my oil every 2000 miles because it turned black very quickly.

Greg! How dare you not run 2 oil changes through that Fram Ultra! Shame on you!

Just kidding of course. I too was a 3,000 mile oil changer until I came here. I was able to go 10,228 miles on my last oil change, only took just under 7 months to do so.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Just kidding of course. I too was a 3,000 mile oil changer until I came here. I was able to go 10,228 miles on my last oil change, only took just under 7 months to do so.

Lol. I may be over the 3000 mile OCI, but I still cant bring myself to "mix" oils. I have no issues running the Fram Ultra for 2 OCI, they will just have to be with the same oil. If this TGMO runs well over the 5K miles then Ill run it again. If not I am probably going to give M1 EP 0w20 a shot.

I do about half of that in 7 months!

Originally Posted By: Saul
The more people educated, the less gold castles get built in the desert.

Gold castles will continue to be built for someone as long as you drive. Desert or swamp...

True....never thought I would ever end up going TWO years between oil changes.....

Granted, for some reason I'm worried about TAN even though the oil is nearly clean with just less than a K on it.....

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I do about half of that in 7 months!
Lol yeah I drive a lot, I've done 3,600 miles in the past 2 months, 2,000 in the past month.

I agree. I have enjoyed learning a lot of here. I change my oil 4k miles on average. But this time I am going 6k with the PUP. I have gone that long before but very very rarely. I have learned from many people on here that is well and safe to go farther. Now I am not desirous to go 10k miles. Part of that is that 50% of my driving is city driving. So that does change the calculus a good bit in my opinion.
Again I am very grateful to have learned a lot on here from others. And I look forward to learning more good stuff in the future
smile.gif

I am going 6,000. Yeah I know its not 8,9 or 10k.. But I really don't want to do that. Just too much town driving and I don't mind doing it. Getting dirty is not an issue for me. Unlike MANY of the people who live around me
smile.gif

Does your Accord use a maintenance minder?

5k is the new 3k, btw. Congrats, you've finally almost made it to the 21st century...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
5k is still too short!

Not when you are OCD about 3000.....then 5000 is living on the edge of the abyss

16.gif

when you hit 4500 you start checking the mileage every day. Then at 4750 you can't take it anymore and rationalize changing it early.....
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I know it sounds ridiculous to most of you but I will be doing my first 5000 OCI ever on my Accord.

How long will it take before you do 10K OCI?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am going 6,000. Yeah I know its not 8,9 or 10k.. But I really don't want to do that. Just too much town driving and I don't mind doing it. Getting dirty is not an issue for me. Unlike MANY of the people who live around me
smile.gif

Then why bother spending extra on a synthetic then. Costs more for no return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back