Fraud & criminal behavior at auto shops in Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent consumer series that airs on CBC called Marketplace.

Nice to know that the CBC has no influence from advertisers
so they have no reason to hide the truth about fraud from
consumer businesses like this EconoLube oil change chain in
Canada. I wish we could find a way to get this aired on
television in the US. Perhaps PBS stations?

Will the media ever report on the corruption in government and get a reaction from its viewers?

And that would be why I prefer to do it myself, and then take the money that I save and buy tools.

My car never has and will never ever go to one of these shops. I wouldn't trust them to put wiper blades on it. If for some reason I'm unable to do work to it myself I have family to help me, my mechanic, or another mechanic shop I trust. There's no reason people can't find honest shops out there. The owners of the vehicles are to blame as well, it should be an expectation you're going to get ripped off at these cheap oil change places. Vehicle owners need to do their research. They do it for their 60" TV to see whether it's a good TV or not, why not with something more important that you depend on?

You saw it, people who want to find out will find out as you did. I am able to watch hundreds of TV channels from around the world online. CBC should be available too. PBS' reach is not broader.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
You saw it, people who want to find out will find out as you did. I am able to watch hundreds of TV channels from around the world online. CBC should be available too. PBS' reach is not broader.

This series didn't just pop up on yt search, I went though quite a few hoops to get there. The reason shows like this should be broadcast on regular television is because it can reach large numbers of people easily, not everyone is a champ at using the internet, also many US residents have no idea about the CBC and probably don't know it exists, not to mention a series called
"Marketplace".except for some US residents living on the northern border where the CBC can reach us though OTA or some of the US cable systems that carry CBC affiliates and that is still a very limited number of viewers.

Last edited:
If you go to one of these places isn't this to be expected? Its what they do - upsell. Everyone knows if you go to Jiffy Lube they are going to tell you every part and fluid on the car needs changed. They only shady part is the 'work that wasn't even performed.' If you take your car to a quick lube and they charge you for work that isn't needed, but was performed, then I think the responsibility lies on the consumer. If they charge you for work that was never performed, then thats fraud. If you want good honest service go to a respectable shop. Not one of these joints.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
This is no news.

This is caused by ignorance, people don't read their owner's manual

But blaming the shop, while letting the consumer take no responsibility has more added drama.

The average customer should not be expected to have technical knowledge about the machine s/he drives. Are dealers any better?

I do not have cable, but cbc is a channel worthy of paying for on cable.

Last edited:
The entire point of the $20 oil change is to generate business threw more profitable services. If the average consumer is not bright enough to figure that out, and maybe you know read the owners manual in between faceworlding to see what is actually needed...what do they say about a fool and his money?

Here they do not provide those extra profit generating services, they lie and charge for them.

I watched that one about a week ago.. it did not surprise me, and I still don't get my oil changes done by someone else. Not gonna change any time soon.

About once a decade I get a free dealer oil change. After I wrestle off the overtightened filter and drain plug, I inform them they have lost my trust, and never use them again (except for recalls. Love that).

The average customer should not be expected to have technical knowledge about the machine s/he drives. Are dealers any better?

Exactly while that oil change is low priced the customer should not be ripped off in the process. Especially if they fail to perform the work itself that was billed for.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Exactly while that oil change is low priced the customer should not be ripped off in the process. Especially if they fail to perform the work itself that was billed for.

I'm gonna stick my head out and say most of these places do perform the work they charged the client for. Whether or not it was needed lies upon the consumer. No is a powerful word. They prey on the uninformed. In that case you can only blame the uninformed consumer, not the shop.

I can't stand those quick oil change places. The "mechanics" at those places are just there to get you to say 'yes' to the "wallet flush" service, which comes under many different names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back