Chassis Lube - Stay with Mystik or switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the Mystik 2 JT-6 Hi Temp to lube the F150 for the last 5 years. Just put the last tube in today.

This stuff-

[img:left][/img]

I use it on the front suspension and the U Joints.

Should I stay with it or switch?

I'm looking at the Valvoline VV985 SynPower Synthetic

If I switch do I have to worry about compatibility issues?

Many years ago I sought out a grease for chassis lube, lawn and garden, and marine. I wanted one grease for all applications. I settled on Chevron Delo ep #2. My second choice would be Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. In my opinion they are both outstanding choices.My choice was based on manufacturing data sheets. To this day I still use the Chevron. Not one failure in over 25 years. Where I live, the Mystik is easier to get.

Well, the consensus seems to be, stick with what I'm using. Guess I'll pick up another tube or two of the Mystic next time I swing by O'Reilly's as they seem to be about the only ones who have it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Larry

The Mystik gets my vote. I have used it for over a year and a half on my class 8 trucks and still love it. Over the years I've used a couple of valvoline chassis greases along with shell and mobil (mobil extreme). I think the Mystik JT-6 hi temp is by far the best in my heavy duty use.

Compared to the others I've used, the Mystik seems to stay put longer. It especially gives a long lasting "just greased" feeling in my front end (everything feels like new after a grease job).

There may be others as good but since you've been using it for years I'd stick with it.

Actually it looks like Tractor Supply carries it as well as...........surprise! Walmart!

I'll be going to Wally World in the next day or two and will check for it when I'm there.

Chassis lubrication points are usually low stress applications which do not require a high performance grease. Mystik JT-6 Hi temp is an excellent grease and pretty much overkill for any type of chassis lubrication. It will certainly do the job and there is no real reason to switch.

That being said, if you want to switch just for the thrill of it, (we BITOG folks really need to get out more don't we) Go for it! Valvoline Synpower, Green Grease, and CRC New generation are all multi-purpose, lithium comlex, high temp wheel bearing greases that I have tested and like to use. They all work excellent but are easy to find and inexpensive. The Valvoline synpower is the only one with a moly additive and the Green Grease is more of a super tacky, long lasting marine grease. Try either one of those if you want to try something different this time around.

The reason I started using this grease was that the Haynes manual specced NLGI no. 2 chassis grease. Then, and I can't remember where, I read that I should use an ep grease on the U-Joints.

While I was looking for a grease I found a rebate on the Mystik good for up to $20.00, and it met or exceeded my needs, so I went to O'Reilly's and picked up 4 or 5 tubes at around $4.00 or $5.00 each. I'm using my last free tube.

It's still available at around the same price, which is about half the cost of the Valvoline, so based on the feedback I'm getting here, I'm happy to stay with it.

Thank you all for your help!

Larry

To me, grease is grease in a tube/automotive, never had a cant live without it moment over grease, but we are all weird in our on little way, and with that said,,,I am perfect, just ask my 2 x's..lol I will be out by the pool if you need me...

PS, then again,does it really come in a pink tube,,lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

I prefer to think of it as a light red.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

I prefer to think of it as a light red.
grin.gif

+1

I have had a tube of synpower in the gun for two years now. Seems to hold up fine in use and the gun has not dripped a drop despite being stored in the garage the whole time.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I have had a tube of synpower in the gun for two years now. Seems to hold up fine in use and the gun has not dripped a drop despite being stored in the garage the whole time.

Now THAT'S interesting! The Mystik makes a nice mess. I keep it in the cross bed toolbox where, I'm sure, it gets mighty hot here in Houston. I keep it wrapped in a rag, inside a plastic bag and have to clean it up before I can use it.

By the way, I checked 2 Wally Worlds recently and no Mystik in stock. Will have to go to O'Reilly's or Tractor Supply to get it I guess.

I'm still wondering if I were to switch to Synpower would there be any problems or incompatibilities I need to worry about or any special steps or precautions?

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd

I'm still wondering if I were to switch to Synpower would there be any problems or incompatibilities I need to worry about or any special steps or precautions?

No there wont be. Mystik JT-6 and Synpower are both lithium complex based greases. They will mix and play together just fine!

If mystik has worked for u, no need to switch unless u really want to. I have been using valvoline syn and non syn with zero issues in chassis, ball joints, drive shaft, wheel bearing, etc.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Chassis lubrication points are usually low stress applications which do not require a high performance grease. Mystik JT-6 Hi temp is an excellent grease and pretty much overkill for any type of chassis lubrication. It will certainly do the job and there is no real reason to switch.

If this was in response to my question, I was asking about the two Mystik greases ONLY, not anything different, or from another company. (But thanks anyway for the suggestions.
thumbsup2.gif
)

Again, between ONLY the JT-6 Hi Temp red, and the regular, old, JT-6 clear, is one actually BETTER than the other for low temp, low speed, CHASSIS type lube purposes (i.e.; ball joints, A-arms, etc.)??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

If this was in response to my question, I was asking about the two Mystik greases ONLY, not anything different, or from another company. (But thanks anyway for the suggestions.
thumbsup2.gif
)

Again, between ONLY the JT-6 Hi Temp red, and the regular, old, JT-6 clear, is one actually BETTER than the other for low temp, low speed, CHASSIS type lube purposes (i.e.; ball joints, A-arms, etc.)??
21.gif

I don't have experience with basic jt-6 grease but it appears to be a good heavy duty chassis grease. The hi-temp has a wider temp range (not only a much higher temp use but also a little colder use).

The regular jt-6 is a higher viscosity (and subsequently harder pumping grease) so I'd hate to use it on my truck's many lube points, but fine for an occasional car/pickup grease job.

If you're already using the basic version I'd stick with it. Mystik's info says the basic jt-6 is calcium based and the hi-temp is lithium complex. I'm not well read on the subject, but I don't believe you should mix them. Others can shed a better light on the mixing subject, but you don't need to switch anyway.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

thumbsup2.gif
)

21.gif

I don't have experience with basic jt-6 grease but it appears to be a good heavy duty chassis grease. The hi-temp has a wider temp range (not only a much higher temp use but also a little colder use).

The regular jt-6 is a higher viscosity (and subsequently harder pumping grease) so I'd hate to use it on my truck's many lube points, but fine for an occasional car/pickup grease job.

If you're already using the basic version I'd stick with it. Mystik's info says the basic jt-6 is calcium based and the hi-temp is lithium complex. I'm not well read on the subject, but I don't believe you should mix them. Others can shed a better light on the mixing subject, but you don't need to switch anyway.

THANKS for that info, and pointing out the different base stocks between the two Mystiks.

I may now switch to the red exclusively (of course after pumping out ALL of the regular stuff), since MANY more of the better greases out there are lithium complex based, and I could just use them IF I cannot find the JT-6 Hi Temp.

They are building a TSC store in Doylestown, Pa. and there is one now in Flemington, N.J., so at least I am not at the "mercy" of Sino Mart.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back