'02 Chevy Trailblazer - Change Engine Oil q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I inherited my mom's 2002 Trailblazer. I changed the oil when I got it and reset the OLM. This is a base model and just has a "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" light on it. Anyway, my daughter (who drives it) says that it has started staying on longer after she starts the car, but that it goes off. I just checked it out and it stays on for maybe 15-20 seconds and then goes off. I checked the manual and it doesn't say specifically if the light is supposed to stay on or not. I had assumed the light would come on and stay on when it is time for an oil change. FYI it has been about 10 months and almost 5000 miles. It is about time anyway, but I wanted to know about this light. Is it telling me to change the oil? Any responses would be appreciated! She's going back to college this afternoon. Thanks!

Regardless of the light, I agree the oil needs changing.

I know some cars that pop up the Change Oil light and stay on for a little bit then go off and then come back on the next time the car is started.

Maybe it's the same thing?

It may be because it's due for an oil change. To reset it you need to turn the key to "on" and pump the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds and turn the key off. It may take a few tries to get it to work.

The OLM does not monitor the oil life or condition. If the light is not reset, it will come on right after an oil change.
Change the oil and reset the OLM.
I don't follow the OLM on mine. I change it every 3000 miles or 4 months.
Been a good rig.

Change oil and reset OLM, I've owned two GM's with an OLM and used whatever synthetic was on sale and a decent filter. Both did fine by simply changing when the light tells you to change.

Thanks--I just changed the oil and reset it. I was just confused by the fact that it came on for 15-20 seconds and then went off. I had assumed that it would come on and STAY on when it needed to be changed. The manual wasn't particularly clear.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Thanks--I just changed the oil and reset it. I was just confused by the fact that it came on for 15-20 seconds and then went off. I had assumed that it would come on and STAY on when it needed to be changed. The manual wasn't particularly clear.

Thanks!

Nope. It turns off. Maybe if you ignore it too long it may stay lit.

It should come on for a little while just prior to 0% oil life. Once the oil reaches it's calculated 0%, the light will come on and stay on.

If you're using a good synthetic oil, you should be able to get 50% more OLM out of a synthetic. Your OLM assumes you're using the cheapest SJ oil available, and oil is much better now, especially synthetics.

When engine oil life hits 5%, it will stay on for roughly 20 seconds after firing up the engine to alert you. Once it hits 0%, it will stay on until you reset it.

After changing the oil, turn the key to the on position (do not crank or fire up the engine) and press and hold the trip reset button for 10 seconds to reset the OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back