New Paccar MX13 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our new Paccar mx13 engines came factory filled with Delo 10w30. Cold starts plugged in -10f to 100deg.

Doing oil changes at 300hrs would like to run a synthetic & change at 400hrs. At 300hrs it's approx 8000 miles.

Any oils you would recommend for this engine don't mind spending more $ for a better oil.

Besides the grade 10w30, what oil specs are required?

Delo has synth in 0w30 and 5w40.

Amsoil has 10w30 and 5w30 diesel synths.

10 gallon sump? Cost?

I'd use a synth if I could double the interval. UOA and see how far you can go on conventional 10w30.

What kind of filtration? bypass filtration?

Originally Posted By: Snowjw
... Any oils you would recommend for this engine don't mind spending more $ for a better oil.

"Better" oil? How would you know what is better? What defines "better" in your application? It seems that $$$ = better, from your comment.

Until you test the oil in the application, and see how it performs, then you have no benchmark for judging any future success or failure of any alternatives you try. I suspect this oil would do an outstanding job. So will many other brands.

Rather than just buying something based upon a hunch and guesses founded upon rhetoric, why not try this concept:
1) establish your maintenance plan operation criteria; perhaps follow OEM guides? Alternative ops?
2) establish a baseline with the current product; test with UOAs over several successive OCIs
3) establish condemnation points; use either ones directly attributed to PACCAR, or get some reasonable ones from similar industry choices (Cummins, Mack, Volvo, etc)
4) select reasonable candidates for alternative testing; do UOAs here as well
5) compare/contrast the results of UOAs, relative to the cost of the choice; use ROI as your guiding mantra

Or, just pick something people push you towards; sort of an oil-de-jour from the brand/grade bigots here ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back