Wine Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have some Reidel and some Waterford. Then a bunch of cheap, old ones.

Some cheaper brands are actually a bit heavier, if not "as nice" crystal. Though I'll not claim to know a thing about the stuff (we got ours as gifts, and they do very well).

I believe the shape/design also goes with the specific wine type, though I have no idea if that's sales hype or reality or a mix of each.

Unless you're a die hard wine enthusiast, an all purpose wine glass is a good compromise. If you exclusively drink big reds then you could consider a glass with a larger bowl designed for the reds. Same with the whites or deserts-both are best with a smaller bowl.

Again, unless you're a die hard enthusiast, plain glass will work just fine. If you like the way that crystal diffracts the light and enhances the beauty of the wine, then you can pay the premium for non-leaded crystal.

I personally don't care for stemless, but they seem to be trendy right now. It's a matter of personal taste.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I personally don't care for stemless, but they seem to be trendy right now. It's a matter of personal taste.

I don't care for stemless either, feels like i'm holding a breakfast juice glass.

I'd buy less expensive ones especially if you entertain a lot, they seem to break less.

Last edited:
I use both Reidel stemless from the red target-logo store and the Wine Enthusiast-braded Titanium glasses (Pinot shape).
I like them both.

Everyday cheaper the way to go for entertaining. When it breaks, and it will, no biggie. I have a set of "nice" ones for me and the family. With the cheaper ones, handwash as many will get cloudy quick if routinely in the dishwasher.

I like a big,stemmed glass goblet to stick my nose in a well made Bergonne.
smile.gif

Oh, the heady '80's are far gone now.

Last edited:
Get a cheap set of wine glasses at Costco or Sams - these are perfectly adequate for daily use and seem to break less. Maybe get a 4 glass set of Riedel stems for that rare special wine. High cost glasses not worth risking use for daily or for most company on social occasions.

Last edited:
We bought a dozen "big red" glasses for us and a dozen for our daughter at a sale at Mikasa (a dinner and glassware chain, in Canada at least).

They were around $15 for 6. The "big red" glasses are practically distinguishable from our Riedel glasses (we have 2 that I had previously bought as a special gift for my wife). There may be differences but you'd need a caliper to find them.

We also bought white wine glasses at the same sale. We don't have Riedel white wine glasses so I can't compare.

So watch for a good sale, then stock up.

With stemless holding the glass will warm up your drink, so probably get some stems for the chilled or if you don't want to warm up the drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back