Adding fuel system cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
One thing I've always wondered is why the directions on so many fuel system cleaners will say to run the tank empty first, BEFORE adding the additive to the tank. Does it really matter how much gas was in the tank before adding the additive? I'm guessing they want to fully mix the additive in the tank, but even if your tank was above half full, it's still going to mix in there properly. I bet that even if the tank was nearly full, and you only needed to add 2 or 3 gallons, that it would still mix properly.

As long as you run the tank WITH the additive in it right to the end, for maximum cleaning time, to me that seems like the more important step, not how much gas was in the tank at the time of adding the product.

Thoughts?

Greetings and Happy Easter(if you celebrate)!
smile.gif

I don't think it matters either, how much fuel is in the tank! They mention this in the directions so that everyone GETS IT!.

Many gas tanks have a check valve just aft the filler neck-to-tank so, if you ONLY added the FSC to a full tank of gas, the cleaner may not get distributed evenly into the rest of the gas.

You need the pressure of filling the tank to push open the check valve after dumping in the FSC down the filler neck. Otherwise, the FSC may/might just sit there!

Regardless of how much gas is in the tank, you need to push the FSC through the filler neck/past the check valve by filling the tank...even if it's just a gallon/liter and the FSC can now slosh around! My .02 cents!

I could go on & on but, you get what I am talking about!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Many gas tanks have a check valve just aft the filler neck-to-tank so, if you ONLY added the FSC to a full tank of gas, the cleaner may not get distributed evenly into the rest of the gas.

You need the pressure of filling the tank to push open the check valve after dumping in the FSC down the filler neck. Otherwise, the FSC may/might just sit there!

I agree with that, you definitely need to add gas after putting in the additive, but I think as long as the directions say to add at least 4 or 5 gallons afterwards then that's all that's necessary.

Happy Easter!

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I agree with that, you definitely need to add gas after putting in the additive, but I think as long as the directions say to add at least 4 or 5 gallons afterwards then that's all that's necessary.

Happy Easter!

Indeed!
smile.gif

I'm on board w OP. I would add the cleaner to the gas tank (whatever fuel level) fill the tank and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I'm on board w OP. I would add the cleaner to the gas tank (whatever fuel level) fill the tank and call it a day.

Absolutely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back