93 Ranger I don't need but might have to have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I'm pretty good about avoiding impulsive vehicle purchases, but I think I might have to give in to this one.

I spotted a '93 or '94 Ranger at a small car lot/pest control company I drive past regularly. With it being Easter weekend, I couldn't get a hold of them, but I left them a message and sent an email, so hopefully I will get a call back Monday so I can go drive it.

Nothing special...
DY4JuLI.jpg

RHewNoi.jpg

...except, the two shifters on the floor...
wVEQHWY.jpg

Not to mention those factory buckets. Obviously the paint is rough, and some [censored] put that VHT Niteshade [censored] on the lights, but that can be fixed. Bottom line is, two shifters on the floor, factory buckets. Oh, and it's a Southern truck with no rust. And manual hubs.

I don't feel like dealing with a used car not right now, nor do I feel like breaking out the checkbook, nor do I feel like paying insurance on two trucks and tagging two trucks, but if this car lot is okay to deal with, this truck is going to have to happen I am afraid. Might not even put a tag on it right away because I don't need two vehicles, but I am worried it will be a while before I see one like this again.

Why do cool, old beaters pop up when it's kind of inconvenient to buy them?

Is. it the 3.slow or the ohv 4.0? Also what is the diff code.? Some of these had LSD and 4.10 gears. That is a sweet ol' Ranger.

go for it, it is only money, and maybe a fun project ride, but a 93 is getting age on it, but it could be an interesting hobby, but 22 years is no spring chicken..

Unsure of engine, but they wrote "V6" on the window, and being an STX it's at least the 3.0. You can't go wrong either way that year...3.0 and 4.0 were both solid.

Didn't get the diff code yet, but it's an 8.8 for sure (standard with 4WD).

I had its twin!

DSCN7173.jpg

Like every other mazda manual tranny, it whined in 3rd.

New trucks don't look right. I say, go for it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
4.0 is not great
Under $1000.00 ??

[censored] no, they want $3K. Any running 4WD is $1500-2K here. The rednecks tear them up, so it's the same as rust up there.

Even to me, $3K is a hard pill to swallow on a truck like this, but it is what it is. They knew what it was as soon as they looked in the window at the auction. This lot constantly has Rangers, so this isn't what they bought instead of an Isuzu Rodeo or Kia Sedona.

Last edited:
4.0 is not great
Under $1000.00 ??

So what ranger engine was better? You trolling bro?
Trolling.gif

IIRC that was the first year for the 4.0 but it was much better in every way than the 2.9L

yes they still had a few issues.. but what ford ranger engines didn't in 1993?

I suppose if you need a pickup and can't afford much then it might be worth it. Personally I don't think I'd ever purchase a vehicle from "a small car lot/pest control company", nor do I understand the allure of a 20+ year old Ford pickup, especially when you can't afford to insure it or register it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I suppose if you need a pickup and can't afford much then it might be worth it. Personally I don't think I'd ever purchase a vehicle from "a small car lot/pest control company", nor do I understand the allure of a 20+ year old Ford pickup, especially when you can't afford to insure it or register it.

Debbie Downer?

Looks like a decent beater truck to have parked on the side of the house. Has newish tires, so that saves $400-500 putting tires on it.

I don't troll bro as you said i will say the 4.0 ford is one of the engines that put my kids through college because that is all we do is engines. That is not worth $3000.00 sorry.. Why is it when someone don't understand a post they are accused of trolling? I don't see anything in this post that could be considered "trolling"

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Where did I say I can't afford to insure it or register it? I just don't particularly like paying for two vehicles when I can only drive one. I'm just acknowledging that I will be paying to have this thing around all the time whether I am using it or not, and I've been there and done that.

Personally, I would never buy something like a Dodge Durango or a Subaru Forester, not for $3000, not for more than scrap value. I don't understand the allure. But I do like old Ford trucks, and I do understand the allure of those, so I'm interested when a semi-rare one comes along.

I don't troll bro as you said i will say the 4.0 ford is one of the engines that put my kids through college because that is all we do is engines. That is not worth $3000.00 sorry.. Why is it when someone don't understand a post they are accused of trolling? I don't see anything in this post that could be considered "trolling"

Are you thinking of the SOHC 4.0? This truck has the pushrod engine if it has the 4.0. The one in my 1995 Explorer was problem free, so I'm not worried about that.

The Ranger is a good little truck. Whether it is or is not worth $3,000 is up to a potential buyer to decide. Good clean Ranger's around here bring top dollar, even the 2wd base model work trucks.

Everyone needs a beater/project car at least once in their life. Maybe take a friend along when you go to inspect it, just to act as the voice of reason when your heart starts to take over from your head. A second set of eyes and ears is always helpful when checking a vehicle over. Let us know how the test drive goes!

Car lot/pest controller...what??

Originally Posted By: hpb
Everyone needs a beater/project car at least once in their life. Maybe take a friend along when you go to inspect it, just to act as the voice of reason when your heart starts to take over from your head. A second set of eyes and ears is always helpful when checking a vehicle over. Let us know how the test drive goes!

Car lot/pest controller...what??

The good thing is, I will have to test drive it on lunch, so I won't have time to buy it right then and there, and really the truck is worth at least $500 less than they are asking right now. If the paint was in much better shape and the lights had not all been painted, it might be a $3K truck. It's probably going to rain today, so I may not be able to look the engine and underside over.

The pest control company seems to be the primary business, and the used cars more of a hobby.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

[censored] no, they want $3K. Any running 4WD is $1500-2K here. The rednecks tear them up, so it's the same as rust up there.

Wow, you guys got lucky. When I lived in Mississippi that was a $4K truck if it had 200K, $5K if it had less than 150K. They were rust free, but the red clay stains were apparent. Truth be told I'd rather have a slightly rusty one that I could pick up here for $1K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back