Which tire for 02 Montero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to buy some new tires for the rear of my 02 Montero. Planning a vacation in Corolla, NC this July and going to do some off roading. Some beach and some light mud / trails. I am wanting them to be good in snow for next winter as well. This is primarily a road vehicle that will typically see minimal off roading. The tires I am considering are:

1) Mickey Thompson Baja Radial STZ
2) Goodyear Authority or Duratrac
3) General Grabber STX

Open to other ideas as well but want to keep prices down. I have an unrepairable alignment issue on the rear and likely will replace 2 rear tires about once a year or every 10,000 miles.

Sand and snow are about as different as you can possibly get when designing a tire.

That said, been down to Corolla dozens of times. The BFG All Terrain TA KO tires that are on my lifted 4 Runner work great there. The sand is usually pretty packed down by other vehicles. Bring an air pump. If it's loose sand, you'll want to air down considerably. Bring a tow strap. Sometimes, even perfect tires can't overcome a deep spot...

The BFG AT KO do well in the snow. Not as well as a set of snow tires, but passable.

Any other sand tires would be horrible in snow. Big wide blocks, hard rubber, not enough void in the tread. Ugh...

Of the tires you listed, the Goodyear Duratracs do very well in snow. Good voids, good siping even. I'm sure they'll be fine in the Outer Banks.

I would strongly encourage you to replace all four tires with the same brand/type for balanced handling in the snow. Sure, one pair will wear out quick because of your truck's issue...but you can just keep buying a pair that matches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back