Pennz Ultra 5W-30 Euro L, Nissan 370Z, 4996 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally used Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 Euro L Formula which is designed for diesel engines in my last oil change. My car is an '09 Nissan 370Z with the VQ37 engine and now has a little over 50K miles. I have been doing 5K OCI's since new, previously using Pennz Ultra and Redline 5W-30 synthetic and Mobil 1 filters. My oil consumption has dropped from between 1.25-1.5 quarts between changes to between 1/3 and 1/2 quarts, not sure if it was the Ultra or the engine just settling down at around the 35K mark. From this report, it sure looks like Ultra doesn't use much moly, and all the other elements look good. So does the viscosity although the regular Ultra used between 35K-40K mileage held up better. Too bad the regular Ultra is no longer available. Looks like I will be switching back to Redline at the next change since my last stash of Ultra (non-Euro L) is in the crankcase now.

It could be from the engine finishing up the wear in process but it appears your wear metals are lower with the Euro L, maybe keep using it! Iron, Copper, and Lead all went down, but then again it could be from break in noise finally washing out which you can see in the first UOAs is still present.

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
Too bad the regular Ultra is no longer available.

It is. It just has a different name.

Interesting wording from Blackstone...

Thats fine, not a big deal...

Then they say...

...so it shouldn't have hurt anything...

and...

Even with the wrong oil, your engine still looks great...

Really...? You'd think OP was the first person to ever use a "diesel...' oil in a gas engine. In my previous car, which went 330 000 miles, I used car oil, diesel oil and motorcycle oil... all was good.

There is such a thing as "diesel oil", but this isn't "diesel oil." Most oils for diesel engines are "heavy duty engine oils" (HDEO) and can be used in gas engines. No where does it say it's for diesels on the Amazon header, just for "Euro" vehicles. Me thinks thou protests too much...

I just found Pennzoil Ultra sound the other day.. Mind ya its 50 miles away but I drove there to get it. Really got me irritated when my local Walmart stopped carrying it. And NONE of the other autoparts stores carried it either. But at least I found at this other store. And they carry it regularly. But I understand where you are at with it. Frustrating when we cannot find what we use on a routine basis.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
There is such a thing as "diesel oil", but this isn't "diesel oil."

It meets many of the modern car diesel engine oil mfg specifications such as MB 229.51, Porsche C30, or BMW LL-04, so that's probably why the OP referred to as "diesel oil." I agree that it can be ran in a gasoline engine as well under many circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
There is such a thing as "diesel oil", but this isn't "diesel oil." Most oils for diesel engines are "heavy duty engine oils" (HDEO) and can be used in gas engines. No where does it say it's for diesels on the Amazon header, just for "Euro" vehicles. Me thinks thou protests too much...

No, most of the ones that you are familiar with are HDMO for the American OTR utilistion.

Europe and Japan have had diesel engines specifying 5W30 and 10W30 for a decade and a half.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Europe and Japan have had diesel engines specifying 5W30 and 10W30 for a decade and a half.

We do here too actually, some Cat engines recommend 10W-30. Such thin oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
I accidentally used Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 Euro L Formula which is designed for diesel engines in my last oil change. My car is an '09 Nissan 370Z with the VQ37 engine and now has a little over 50K miles. I have been doing 5K OCI's since new, previously using Pennz Ultra and Redline 5W-30 synthetic and Mobil 1 filters. My oil consumption has dropped from between 1.25-1.5 quarts between changes to between 1/3 and 1/2 quarts, not sure if it was the Ultra or the engine just settling down at around the 35K mark. From this report, it sure looks like Ultra doesn't use much moly, and all the other elements look good. So does the viscosity although the regular Ultra used between 35K-40K mileage held up better. Too bad the regular Ultra is no longer available. Looks like I will be switching back to Redline at the next change since my last stash of Ultra (non-Euro L) is in the crankcase now.

As noted the low saps works fine in non-diesel cars. If you compare against a VoA, or my several UOAs posted here using PU 5/30 you will notice they look very similar to your report.

My UOAs showed a bit more Magnesium then you. I had 2 intervals over 6K miles miles and saw a bit more shear in one of them.

Either way this and my reports showed the Pennzoil doing just fine in our VHR engine.

The new PUP is very hard to find in my area outside of Philadelphia and I just used my last batch of 'old' PU on the Z. Amazon is now stocking PUP and I can source from them or wait for $30 5qt deals and stash up.

If I wanted to save $10 per change, I'd use PPP from Walmart in the 5qt containers with not an ounce of worry.

- b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back