6 months.. rusting hub caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reference to my CR-V, my hub caps are rusting!! Washed and waxed yesterday and saw the rust. It looks like rust is coming from the lugs and from the caps themselves. They are steel would, so can I put in a warranty claim? It's ridiculous that this is happening after only 6 months on a new vehicle.

Its called Cost-Cutting.What I would be more concerned with is,where else did they cheap out?

Hub caps are typically PLASTIC... they go over the steel wheel...

Did you mean the actual steel wheel is rusting...? The LX trim level comes with a "styled..." steel wheel... and, sorry, but all steel wheels will rust.

Will the dealer warranty them...? Not likely. They will probably try and sell you some nice aluminum wheels though... !

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
In reference to my CR-V, my hub caps are rusting!! Washed and waxed yesterday and saw the rust. It looks like rust is coming from the lugs and from the caps themselves. They are steel would, so can I put in a warranty claim? It's ridiculous that this is happening after only 6 months on a new vehicle.

Are there pics? I'm having a hard time believing that hub caps would be rusting, since they should be plastic?

If you have acorn lug nuts that are chrome plated then either get stainless steel lug nuts or a .5 higher mm socket. So if your lug nuts are 18mm then get a 18.5mm socket to fit over the rust that forms between the lug nut and the chrome plating. Been there done that. The tire shops will use a 18mm socket with a BFH to get the socket to fit. (18mm is an example only).

I have seen steel wheels (with a new car) that are painted metal color so they look like fancy wheels, but they will be rusty steel wheels shortly.

I had steel wheels repainted by the dealer and they clear coated them which then lasted until I sold the car 10 years later. It was a Chevy and they had no issue painting the rusting wheels. They really want their cars to look good when they are newer and still in warranty as it is an image thing.

I don't have pictures, and yes, it is not only coming from around the lugs, but also on the edges of the wheel itself. It is actually rusting, not bubbling, but completely rusting.

Hub caps are plastic, the retaining ring is metal. Might be the retaining ring that's rusting

Could remove the hub cap and paint the entire wheel, including lugs in enamel or something. Don't remove the wheel or lugs, just spray the whole thing as a whole. Will seal it and might help with the rust issue

As mentioned, styled steel wheels always rust if you're in an area that spreads salt. All it takes is one winter for it to start.

M.jpg

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I don't have pictures, and yes, it is not only coming from around the lugs, but also on the edges of the wheel itself. It is actually rusting, not bubbling, but completely rusting.
This is 2015, certainly you have a phone with a camera. Let's see some pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back