valvoline atv vs valvoline motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine they would make two oils for basically the same application. But I could imagine them wanting to make money from motorcycles and atv's. Same oil.

Why don't you protect your investment correctly and spend the few extra dollars foe the OE fluid? Then there is no doubt what you are using is correct.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Why don't you protect your investment correctly and spend the few extra dollars foe the OE fluid? Then there is no doubt what you are using is correct.

So if you run out of oil in the middle of nowhere...and you couldnt get OEM oil...do you than get panic attack?
smile.gif

I was told by a spokesperson for Valvoline that the two oils have different frictional characteristics.

If your ATV has a manual wet clutch just like a motorcycle then I'd guess it wouldn't matter. If your ATV has an automatic clutch then I'd stick with the ATV specific fluid.

All things being equal - I doubt there would be any detriment to using either product.

My motorcycle has a wet clutch that is bathed in oil. I have never had a problem but have heard a normal auto oil has too many friction reducers that will cause this clutch too slip.

not promoting the practice...just sharing what I'm doing; I have 2 bikes with common sumps and wet clutch assemblies & using a mix of leftover 10w-40 and 15w-40 oils (motorcycle oils, car oils, and heavy duty engine oils) and cutting the usual oil change intervals in half (eg: 4k miles OCI cut to 2k miles; 3k miles OCI cut to 1.5k miles)

my preferred shop uses Castrol GTX pcmo in bikes where owners prefer conventional oil...been doing it for years with loyal repeat customers and no reports of problems attributable to the oil;

as far as Valvoline MC oil vs Valvoline ATV oil...they both have JASO MA rating for wet clutches and I wouldn't hesitate to use either in my bikes (especially when they go on sale at Autozone which reduces price from $6/qt to $4/qt)

I bought three qts the other week. Going to change it in a '91 honda foutrax 4wd.

It was $4.99 at tractor supply yet $4.39 or something like that when I saw it at Walmart.

Oh, the atv 10w40.

Honda dealer oil is SJ. $6.99 where I price checked and was told that the bottle of atv oil needs to have MA on the bottle.

I've been using Honda oil for three or four oil changes over the last two years, but I wanted to see how great the quality of oil valvoline has in which I found it for 3.99 at TSC.

91 fourtrax 4wd ... Still going !!

Smooth shifting. Happy owner. Seems okay to great for the old fourwheeler. Fresh new oil brings any fourwheeler to life.

ATV is rated JASO MA. Motorcycle oil is rated JASO MA2. The motorcycle oil has more zinc and phosphorus. You can google PI sheet on both.

Originally Posted By: sweezy722
ATV is rated JASO MA. Motorcycle oil is rated JASO MA2. The motorcycle oil has more zinc and phosphorus. You can google PI sheet on both.

Motocycle oil could be both...MA or MA2 or MB(fuel conserving)...

MA and MA2 are both for wet clutch...except MA2 is suitable for motocycles with catalyst converter...

I have the Valvoline ATV oil in my Kawie right now, and a uoa going to Blackstone. We shall see what they say, but right now, I can tell you right now that the AMsoil I used to run in it made the fan come on less.

No wet clutch= use whatever oil brand you choose in the proper or close to proper weight..

Wet Clutch= just Use Rotella T6 and be done with it..

I absolutely work and play hard on my Polaris Ranger, and both of my Suzuki's Z-400's and the only thing on my Shelf is RT6.

Keep in mind that off road machines that share engine oil with gear oil will wear out more quickly.. be mindfull

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
No wet clutch= use whatever oil brand you choose in the proper or close to proper weight..

Keep in mind that off road machines that share engine oil with gear oil will wear out more quickly.. be mindfull

Thats why ATV/Motocyle oils has JASO MA/ GL4 specs.....they are here because of "shared sump"
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

Thats why ATV/Motocyle oils has JASO MA/ GL4 specs.....they are here because of "shared sump"
wink.gif

agreed, and RT6 IS MA2 absolutely perfect cheap alternative to "motorcycle specific oil" I thought this was common knowledge on BITOG ?

Just filled my kymco 700 with castrol actevo 20w50 part synthetic. Walmart only had 3 qts and I needed 4 so I used a quart of regular gtx 20w50. Running very smooth.

Just changed out 3 qts of havoline conventional 10w40 with 1 quart valvoline motorcycle 10w40 synthetic. Ran great on that too.

Im thinking you can run just about any 40wt and up oil as long as it's not energy/resource conserving. Like a hdeo.

The only one I heard anything weird from the trans was the rotella t6 5w40. I changed from that to the havoline I mentioned and noises went away. I the it's just too thin at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back