Chrysler 42rh / A-500 indecisive on 1/2 shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only used ATF+3 and then ATF+4 in this transmission since the rebuild about 80K miles ago, the last drain and refill was quite some time ago, but not much mileage on it either since. I do have a tranny pan drain plug and a magnefine filter, and an additional cooler. Lubegard red bottle is in there too.

Under light loads at about 10Mph in city traffic, it will be in second, and try downshifting and not quite succeed and the result is a shuddering until I either get on the gas, get off the gas, or manually shift it into 1st. So I can prevent it from occurring, it is just that I've rarely had to in the past and this has become more frequent as of late.

I've not touched the throttle rod in quite some time, and the linkages are still sliding smoothly/ pivoting as they should.

Any Idea of what is occurring, and if another pan drain. Fresh atf+4 fill would have a positive effect?

The 3/2 downshift has been unpleasant sometimes and I often will downshift into second manually before such an occurrence could occur so as to not allow that lug to hard downshift that would occur otherwise.

Check ATF level.

If electronic, replace solenoids.

And change the ATF and filter, adjust the bands, install a shift kit from sonnax, superior, or transgo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back