Mahle OX 149D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran for a little over 3k on the girlfriends Volvo. The factory recommended interval is 7.5k, but I am trying to clean things up. The car is the "turbo'd" version and is severely short tripped. After removing the filter from the previous oil change, a few of the pleats were packed with sludge. This one had a little bit at the edges, but the synthetic seems to be clearing things up. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 came out and M1 AFE 0w30 went back in.

a9jro.jpg

2prd6kx.jpg

Hello, Be sure you read the thread you started about PS fluid.

I'm here again to save your Volvo.

Since you have a turbo, get an oil which has an A3,B3 spec.
Keep it easy on yourself and just get Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula. It's the easiest to find.
Castrol 0W-30 European Formula has the same spec.
Total makes one too as well as other hard-to-find brands.

It's what your engine needs and wants. Kira

ps Twice I saved your car today! Happy Easter K

Thanks Kira! Happy Easter to you too.

And yes. Another Mahle went back in.

FYI. I was originally skeptical of the WIX and WIX made MicroGard filter, but upon further investigation, they have a sealing o-ring on both ends of the filter. I might give one of those a try when my Mahle stash runs out.
21.gif

Just bringing this back from the dead.

There are 2 recently posted filters that have excessively wavy pleats. Wavy pleats could be a result of moisture in the oil. Winter OCI's mean longer warm up times. Short trips don't help either.

Her car is excessively short tripped and this was ran since Thanksgiving Day. No wavy pleats.
laugh.gif

Volvo folk, look no further than this filter.

Last edited:
Rock on, I am using Mann or Mahle cartridges in my BMW's since 1998, even after extended change intervals never pulled a wavy one out, even on the V8 which has a filter element 6.5 inches tall.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Mahle makes excellent air and oil filters.

I can state from experience their oil filters are top notch.

Currently have Mahle OX 154/1D on my 330Ci.
I go back and forth between Mahla and Mann. Usually get them from Amazon, and i have prime so it's 2 day free shipping.

One thing that confuses me is that the version Amazon sends has not much on the black cap except Mahle and model No, but the pic always shows a black cap that has a lot more lettering and numbers...

Probably doesn't mean anything ?

Last edited:
Reminds me of the suzuki filter I opened recently.

This must be fake.. photoshopped, or something. No way you can have "fiber/felt" endcaps *and* perfectly straight and even pleating
grin.gif

All kidding aside, this filter looks excellent! I would have liked more pics of the end caps, adbv, bypass valve & spring, etc.

I should have taken better photos of the end caps, but I assure you they were straight. Ironically, I just dumped the trash can that this filter was in too. Lol.

It is a cartridge filter though so that's all there is to it.

I was using the Mahle ox149d in my 2007 S60 until 2x in a row the filter was loose from the base of the cartridge housing where it snaps on after only a 4k oci. Ive since switched to the Mann hu819x and havent had that problem since.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
There are 2 recently posted filters that have excessively wavy pleats. Wavy pleats could be a result of moisture in the oil. Winter OCI's mean longer warm up times. Short trips don't help either.

Her car is excessively short tripped and this was ran since Thanksgiving Day. No wavy pleats.
laugh.gif

Running Mann filters in my BMW. Lots of short tripping, mayo on the oil cap as a result, but the filter always comes out in great shape. I change it once a year.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Anyone got the guts to run them 8-10K?

Here is my Mahle after 10K miles:

Mahle_oil_filter_10K_miles.jpg

No short tripping on this OCI though.

I was gonna say I hope someone here has ran them that long seeing how the factory recommended interval is 7.5k on her car.

Then again, according to the Purolator squad, expecting a filter to remain in tact during an entire OCI is a bit too much to ask for.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Stewie
Anyone got the guts to run them 8-10K?

Here is my Mahle after 10K miles:

Mahle_oil_filter_10K_miles.jpg

No short tripping on this OCI though.

looks nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back