Brian Vickers Sidelined for blood clots again

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone that has blood clots one as a PE and another as a stroke and only at 41 years old and as healthy as one could be about a year apart lucky of no side effects I understand what he going through now on thinners for life can not believe he was not he now will be. I say the bus ride did him in.

Ya they were saying that as long as he is on blood thinners, he cannot drive a racecar. Maybe he can have a position like Mark Martin has where he is a driving coach type person. He seems like a great guy, and it is unfortunate he cannot compete, but health comes first.

On the plus side, Brett Moffitt is doing great in better equipment and hopefully this will help his career advance. It is amazing what happens when you put someone with talent that had been in sub-par equipment, and put them in good equipment. David Ragan is having a great run in the Gibbs car, considering their lack of pace, taking Kyle Busch's place.

Where are his blood clots at? I don't see why they'd have to pull a driver off the track for blood clots unless the clots are in a critical area. Put the guy on Warfarin and let'eem drive.

That is too bad. I didn't like him when he was running for Hendrick, but he's changed a lot and seems like a [censored] of a good guy. I like seeing him out on the track.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Where are his blood clots at? I don't see why they'd have to pull a driver off the track for blood clots unless the clots are in a critical area. Put the guy on Warfarin and let'eem drive.

I think Warfarin might be one of the banned substances. AJ Allmendinger failed his drug test for taking half an Adderall.

I applied to a few teams last year, obviously did not get hired, and read through the drug testing policy. To say the list was huge was an understatement.

I couldn't see Warfarin giving you a performance advantage ever in any way it's just rat poison with a fancy name.

Either way, with blood clots I bet NASCAR will not medically clear him. Sustained high G-forces that would be experienced at AutoClub Speedway is not something to laugh at. There was a CART race at Michigan, which AutoClub is an almost clone of, where Nigel Mansell almost passed out driving due to the G-forces.

Warfarin is not the only pill for clots and for many doctor's not the first choice. For most people it's the sitting to long that will do you in.

Now hearing what Brian had to say about the 2nd episode with a clot no doctor in his right mind is going to take him off some type of thinner for rest of his life. The hole in his heart to be fixed was so it won't pass to go to his brain to have a stroke. it's my opinion that he will never be off some type of thinner nor should he ever be off one and will have to advocate to NASCAR to let him drive on one and yes I think he should be able to and will be able to.

Pretty sure Warfarin is banned because it puts you at a higher risk for a head bleed or any other type of bleed for that matter. Head bleeds and you become a danger to all other drivers. Get into a wreck while on coumadin and it could be bad. Agree with it or not I would think that is their logic behind it.....not that it is a performance enhancing drug.

This is so sad. I was not a Brian Vickers fan but I have become one here in the last several yes. Seeing what that young fella been through and still trying so hard is fantastic. If Brian is on warfarin then to be therapeutic his INR has to be up to 2 to 3. This alone could prevent him from racing due to the potential of blood loss. Other treatments may not check levels in the blood which I think is stupid for a whole host of reasons. But they would have the same net effect of potentially leading to a very dangerous situation for Brian. Even if something seemed relatively minor it could actually be very serious for him. Now add to this he is having trouble again..... I think there is a solid chance his racing days could be done.. Very sad and I really hope I'm wrong. I remember when Trevor bayne had his problems .. And I just knew it was more serious . sure enough he had what I have. MS. People... Ain't no guaranteed. Don't take your abilities for granted. Love your friends like family, and your family like your friends. Realize how petty we all can be and let things go, give others grace\mercy and know when to lovingly confront others when they are doing wrong.
That's our call in this world. To love others, reach out to others in need, confront wrong doing in the right way when needed, give mercy \forgiveness when needed too. And live each day like it could easily be our last. Because it could well be. .

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Pretty sure Warfarin is banned because it puts you at a higher risk for a head bleed or any other type of bleed for that matter. Head bleeds and you become a danger to all other drivers. Get into a wreck while on coumadin and it could be bad. Agree with it or not I would think that is their logic behind it.....not that it is a performance enhancing drug.

Also, any type of blood thinner is dangerous to be on if any type of emergency surgery is required. A race car driver can have countless injuries while driving. If ANY of them resulted in the need for immediate emergency surgery, a patient cannot be on blood thinner medication, or else they run the risk of bleeding out on the table.

I was on both Aspirin and Plavix, (prescription blood thinner), after I had a heart stent procedure done. Later that year I needed Hernia surgery. I could not have it until I went off both the Aspirin and the Plavix for at least 21 days before the surgery. It would be both foolish and stupid to let a driver race while taking ANY type of blood thinner. The risk vs. reward factor simply is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back