My new Accord was due for an oil change and......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let the Acura dealer deal with it! Seriously, for the price they charge for 0w20 synthetic oil change it is not worth it for me to get dirty. I stopped at Acura a month a go and ended up talking to service about some stuff and he asked me what I was paying for oil changes. I told him will the Honda dealer sends me stuff in the mail for oil and filter change for about $65. If I do it myself I am still spending $30 on materials and then getting dirty lol. Acura is literally half that, $33.60 out the door.

I took my neighbors '14 Accord first, pull right in the service bay, get checked in and I take a seat in the waiting room with free coffee, water, Pepsi, and snacks for about 45 min till the car was done. For $33.60 they changed the oil, filter, washer, mulit point inspection, battery test, brake inspection, wash, and vac. Not bad.

I go home and grab my '15 Accord and bring it with my own oil and filter, Mobil 0w20 EP and Fram Ultra because I have a small stash of stuff. So I get all the same treatment but I paid $17.00 because I brought my own oil and filter. When my car was on the lift I asked if I could go out there and no issue. The oil tech brought me out and I inspected the under side of my car or any damages from winter time and chatted with the oil change tech for a few min. Also while they were working on my car I test drove a new TLX V6 with tech package.

Very nice dealership, friendly and good staff, honestly the best dealer experience I have had in a very long time. For $33.60 I feel it is just easier to let them work on my car and its all documented for any warranty repairs.

I asked and the "bulk 0w20" is Quaker State.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone at that dealership understands the principle of happy customers come back.

For myself, I have found that I just can't stand to have someone else change my oil. First, I am just too finicky.....The last time I had a shop change my oil (I was 1200 miles from home, and wasn't going back soon) I darned near choked when the tech blew the dust out of the funnel he was about to use).
Second, it just takes too long......An oil change takes me less than 30 minutes when I do it myself. At least an hour wait, wherever I would go. Plus......I am always dirty, anyway!

dan, your on the wrong site. This place is all about changing your own oil. If you don't want to change your own oil because of health issues, that's one thing. But, to not change your own oil because you don't want to get dirty. LMAO. Man up bro! forfeit your man card.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Haha. I do enjoy working on cars and I do it every single day as a living for a body shop but some times its just nice to let someone else deal with it for a change. I get razzed at work because I keep myself clean and I wear gloves all day to keep my hands clean. I can't stand dirt embedded in my finger nails or skin, maybe I am OCD.
I can't change my own oil, wash my car and do all the inspections for $33.60 myself unless I buy the oil on clearance lol

Last edited:
Is it the UD full synth?

The QS 0w20 bulk that I've seen is a synthblend, and not the Ultimate Durability.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why let some stranger touch your car???

For that price hard to beat that. Also, I let the dealer do mine on the Yukon, only because it came with 4 free ones, after those I will be doing it.

My local Acura dealer charges $40 for oil change and they wash your car and power wash my rubber floor mats and vacuum! The Honda dealer actually charges $50ish and no clean car....

I bounce between DIY however middle of winter during state inspection it gets done by a garage.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why let some stranger touch your car???

At some point in time some "stranger" will touch your car. Just the way it is

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
For myself, I have found that I just can't stand to have someone else change my oil. First, I am just too finicky.....The last time I had a shop change my oil (I was 1200 miles from home, and wasn't going back soon) I darned near choked when the tech blew the dust out of the funnel he was about to use).
Second, it just takes too long......An oil change takes me less than 30 minutes when I do it myself. At least an hour wait, wherever I would go. Plus......I am always dirty, anyway!

My thoughts exactly. The only time I have someone else touch my car is the mandatory yearly inspection. I can't stand to watch them test drive it and inspect it.

I have seen mechanics go from reverse to forward without ever hitting the brakes. They all seem to like to remove brake drums with ballpein hammers instead of a rubber mallet. It is just painful for me to watch.

By the time I drive my car to a quick lube place, have the oil changed and get back home, I could have changed it myself and been relaxing on the couch. I know in advance that it was done properly the first time. Even if having someone else do it is cheaper, I still would do it myself.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
it is not worth it for me to get dirty.

Real men enjoy getting dirty. It's one of the few things we still have left.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I am dirty for a living!
grin.gif

That's good you've found a dealership that actually cares about customer service. I wish I had such a good experience at one. I've been to many dealerships for different cars over the years and can't say I've ONCE had an all-around pleasant experience. Seems like they're always trying to pull a fast one on me one way or another. That's why I just avoid them now and cringe when recalls or warranty work force me to interact with them. I try to do simple maintenance stuff on my own and time it in such a way where I don't have to lay out under my car in the middle of winter. Sometimes it doesn't work out well, though, so I just take my own parts over to my indy who I have a good relationship with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morepwr
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I am dirty for a living!
grin.gif

I was in the sewage bidness before I retired. See your dirty, raise you a couple of filthies!
wink.gif

When I bought my truck I was foolish enough to be talked into paying an extra $240 for twenty oil changes. I prefer to do the oil changes myself and did so and never went for the paid oil changes. So the dealership ended up with a free $240.

When the thermostat failed while the truck was still under warranty, I opted to change the stat myself.

My truck has never been back to the dealership since the day I drove it off their lot.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

My thoughts exactly. The only time I have someone else touch my car is the mandatory yearly inspection. I can't stand to watch them test drive it and inspect it.

I have seen mechanics go from reverse to forward without ever hitting the brakes. They all seem to like to remove brake drums with ballpein hammers instead of a rubber mallet. It is just painful for me to watch.

By the time I drive my car to a quick lube place, have the oil changed and get back home, I could have changed it myself and been relaxing on the couch. I know in advance that it was done properly the first time. Even if having someone else do it is cheaper, I still would do it myself.

You would rather go to the store to buy your oil and filter, come home, lift the car, change the oil and filter, remove wheels for brake inspection, check all lights, check filters, tread depth, air pressure, battery test, under car inspection, put car back on ground, wash and vac. Lets not forget that now you have to bottle the used oil to take it in to be disposed of and now that your all dirty you need a shower and your clothed washed before your wife starts complaining that your tracking dirt into a clean house. You think you can do all of that for less then $33 including your time, and be done in 45 min, all while test driving a new Acura and having a free coffee just because you can.

Highly doubt it.

If I have any warranty issues with a brand new car I, as well as the dealer, will have documentation of exactly when and where the oil was changed. This is a big one for me because NOT doing this has bit me in the [censored] before with a GM product about 5 years ago.

Last edited:
You would rather go to the store to buy your oil and filter, come home, lift the car, change the oil and filter, remove wheels for brake inspection, check all lights, check filters, tread depth, air pressure, battery test, under car inspection, put car back on ground, wash and vac. Lets not forget that now you have to bottle the used oil to take it in to be disposed of and now that your all dirty you need a shower and your clothed washed before your wife starts complaining that your tracking dirt into a clean house. You think you can do all of that for less then $33 including your time, and be done in 45 min, all while test driving a new Acura and having a free coffee just because you can.

Highly doubt it.

If I have any warranty issues with a brand new car I, as well as the dealer, will have documentation of exactly when and where the oil was changed. This is a big one for me because NOT doing this has bit me in the [censored] before with a GM product about 5 years ago.

Wow that sounds exhausting! Yes I do all that myself, I find it is easier to do it myself than somebody else. When I was a teen, I spent time fixing cars that had been screwed up by "professionals". That is why I hate other people touching my cars.

All of that checking of lights, brakes, filters, tires etc. can be done while the oil is draining. Since I know the condition of my vehicles, I am never ripped of during the annual safety inspection.

I don't buy brand new vehicles, but my wife bought hers brand new and it came with oil changes during the warranty period. I let the dealership do the oil changes for free, but once it's out of warranty, I do the oil changes myself. There are tons of guysthat song want to do oil cchages, etc even though they are capable of doing so. Most of my friends have the dealer or the shops do their OCs. And that's fine, no judgement. I usually wash my car, but I'd be lying if I said I never went to the car wash

how do you get so dirty changing oil? I could do it in a tuxedo and probably not spill a drop....ok an exaggaration, but I can do it without a shower after for sure. On the other hand, the guy is a body shop guy 5 days a week....I can't blame you that you sick of cars when the weekend rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back