Re: UAO Can Am 4000 mi Motul 7100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't expect miracles from Motul and didn't get any. In fact, it did't fare quite
as well as previous Amsoil tests. I replaced the Motul with M1 10-40/20-50 mix since
Advance had it on sale. Another Can Am owner reported good results so I want to see
how it does for the next 4K.

DATE SAMPLED 16-Mar-15
DATE RECEIVED 24-Mar-15
DATE REPORTED 26-Mar-15

Motul 7100 4qts 10-40, 1 qt 20-50
Time on oil....4000 miles
Time on motor..14,300 miles

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 12
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) 1
Copper (Cu) 3
Tin (Sn) 3
Aluminium (Al) 9
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 20
Sodium (Na) 13
Potassium (K) 8
Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 20
Calcium (Ca) 2185
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 960
Zinc (Zn) 1118
Molybdenum (Mo) 24
Boron (B) 11
Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 10.7
Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 6.5

With a 100°C viscosity of 10.7 cSt, this oil sheared a lot, which is surprising since a quart of 20W50 was added to the original fill.

With 14k miles the engine is still breaking in, so all the wear numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Do you have a UOA on the Amsoil to compare this to? Which year and model of Can Am were you running it in? And what did you think of the gear shifts by the end of your OCI?

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The add pack looks pretty similar to T6. Have you ever given T6 a try?

No I haven't tried it as several posters here have not had all that good of a rusult
with it. Seems to me a 5-40 is too much of a stretch.

Originally Posted By: abycat
You ran it 4000 miles? Isn't that a bit long?

Because I can run Amsoil that long, I wanted to do a fair comparison with the Motul.

Originally Posted By: CentAmDL650
With a 100°C viscosity of 10.7 cSt, this oil sheared a lot, which is surprising since a quart of 20W50 was added to the original fill.

With 14k miles the engine is still breaking in, so all the wear numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Do you have a UOA on the Amsoil to compare this to? Which year and model of Can Am were you running it in? And what did you think of the gear shifts by the end of your OCI?

Its a '14 Can Am RT with a 1330 motor with gear box sharing the oil. They are notoriously hard on oil based on the testing I've done. Amsoil tested out at 11.1 and there were no noticable changes in the shifting, smooth all throughout the run. Sure did love the red color and nice smell of the Motul tho..........LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back