Base oils: Group II plants lengthen supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.icis.com/resources/news/2015/02/13/9860835/base-oils-group-ii-plants-lengthen-supply/

BUYERS’ MARKET FOR 2015

Chevron's major project at Pascagoula has added heavily to Group II capacity in the US

For base oils, generally “it is very much a buyers’ market and is likely to become more so over the next year or two,” says Crichton. “A lot of significant capacity has come on stream over the past year, with new Group II and III capacity coming on to the market much faster than Group I is being taken out.”
With all the new capacity coming through, unless there is sufficient extra demand to 
absorb it, prices are likely to go one way: down. Base oil prices have dropped significantly over the past year, mainly in response to supply factors and the trend to follow falls in crude prices which have dropped by 60% in the past six months.

However, there has also been a fall in demand growth globally – with the most significant factor being the slowdown in China. We have all become used to double-digit GDP growth in China (now the world’s second-largest economy and already the biggest in terms of purchasing power parity, the measure of economic output 
favoured by many economists) and with growth of just 7.4% in 2014 and around 7% forecast for 2015, that erstwhile engine of global demand is no longer firing on all cylinders.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: CT8
just in time for the gp II working best in di engine "study". http://www.pecj.or.jp/japanese/overseas/conference/pdf/conference12-19.pdf

I just read the study.......What I read was that only gpIII oils were used. And clean lube was much better for preventing valve deposits. I did not see any reference to gpII, or any data suggesting anything except cleaner is better.
Page 16.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
just in time for the gp II working best in di engine "study". http://www.pecj.or.jp/japanese/overseas/conference/pdf/conference12-19.pdf

I just read the study.......What I read was that only gpIII oils were used. And clean lube was much better for preventing valve deposits. I did not see any reference to gpII, or any data suggesting anything except cleaner is better.
Page 16.

As there are no parameters attached to "used" there is no way to make any conclusions from this report on which oil works best.

The last line on page 16 even states this;

"However, further experiments (repeatability check, detail analysis on additive)are needed to prove this rationale due to lacking of experimental data"

Although no specifics regarding oci were given, under this batch of tests, GroupII comes out on top when combining IVD and CCD. There is no doubt about that. Even extending the gap where the arbitrary 'used oil' is concerned.

The reason isn't the lower grade base (Group II), but the higher winter viscosity 7.5W (for group II), compared to 5W (group III) and 0W (for group IV). The thicker winter grade make less stem and tulip wetness in comparison to Groups 3 and 4, so, thinner oils are going more past the valve guides.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
The reason isn't the lower grade base (Group II), but the higher winter viscosity 7.5W (for group II), compared to 5W (group III) and 0W (for group IV). The thicker winter grade make less stem and tulip wetness in comparison to Groups 3 and 4, so, thinner oils are going more past the valve guides.

I would attribute it more to GrpII being conventional whereas III and IV are Hydrocracked Synthetic and PAO Synthetic, respectively.

Last edited:
Ok, but, since carbon deposits are one of the results of oxidation (cokes) in heavly heated parts, wouldn't a better synthetic base make less deposits then a conventional one?

Last edited:
According to the testing...
IVD occur when the lubricant is left in the engine for too long an oci. This is mostly done with synthetics. GDi breaks down all oils rapidly regardless of base oil Group. The suggestion being that GrpII does so in a more linear way vs the other two which come to an abrupt degridation. Another contributor includes large amounts of additives, especially metalic in nature.

CCD occur from unburned fuel.

Last edited:
Gotcha, so IVD are dryied/coked carbon particulates mostly, not oxidized fuel or oil. Agree, since intakes are the coolest part of the motor head at operation, that is appart from shut down, when everything will get dissipation and equal temps that risen up IV and coke the carbon.

Mobil 2, yeay!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back