Castrol Edge 5W50 vs Polaris PS4 & Amsoil 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as to your opinions of using Castrol Edge 5W50 (readily available) or Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke PowerSports 0W40 instead of the Polaris PS-4 5W50?

I've used Castrol oils in my trucks in the past & am leaning towards it when the warranty is up on my Ranger.

I read this opinion on a Ranger forum & just curious if there is any truth that the Edge wouldn't have the anti-wear properties of the PS-4

Quote:
Personally I think Amsoil is the best, or one of the best oil/grease makers out there right now. If I were you, I'd change the engine oil at 50 hours, but no sooner. I usually run mine 50-70 hours depending on the amount of hard running/idle time I'm putting on them at that time. I would suggest you run a motor oil made for your engine. The newer car/truck synthetics don't have the anti wear properties in the oil (because of the EPA) that you get when you buy amsoil powersports oil, or polaris oil.. so, I'd do that first.

I can't see changing the oil every 50 hours as I'd be spending more time changing oil rather than riding. Yes, there is dust in our area but not all the time, so I can't see that being a concern the same if you were riding in a sandy environment all the time.

I've used all three and quite honestly I've never noticed any difference in operation with any of them. I'm currently using the Castrol, but next time I think I'm going with Rotella T6. Lots of people use nothing but M1
0W-40 in their Polaris ATVs with great results.

The lower anti-wear add packs are in 20 and 30 grade oils, but 40 grade and higher don't have the same restrictions.

Here's a VOA of the Castrol.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2887076/2

Ranger 800?

I have a RZR 800. I change oil once a year. ~100 hrs. Mobil 0w-40.

I wouldn't be afraid to use any 0/5w-40/50 oil. But I sure as heck am not paying Polaris prices for their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back