Antifreeze in latest sample. Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Been a long time lurker but only recently signed up when I got serious about oil reports for a used vehicle I picked up. It's a 2002 Chevrolet S10 Xtreme package. 4.3L Vortec with the 5-speed manual. What I got from the previous owner is that he stored the truck every winter and he only ran regular oil change intervals at every 5000 kms.

I picked up the truck in October 2013 with 110,000km and I as well stored the truck during the winter times. I started doing Oil Reports with Blackstone Labs at the 120,000km interval. Been using Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic with a Wix filter. Attached here is my latest sample at 130,000km.

report.png

I had a check engine light come on for a knock sensor. After checking it, I checked my fluids. They were fine. A week after I had the same light. Checked it again and I noticed my antifreeze reservior was empty and when I opened the radiator to check inside I noticed it was half full. I did a complete flush back in 2013 with AC Delco DEX-COOL to the recommended dilution. I usually check all my fluids weekly and I know it happened right before I was about to store her for the winter. I then topped her up. Well I just pulled her out of winter storage a few weeks ago and I did a complete test. I'm not surprised to see 0.14% antifreeze was discovered.

What would you guys recommend? Can a mechanic check and inspect where a leak is coming from? Is this the beginning of possibly head gasket failure? I'm currently driving the truck as is since I've been too busy to take it to the shop. I have been monitoring it and haven't noticed any change in the fluid levels since.

On my first report, they noticed the copper and potassium were slightly higher but went down in my second report. Reading my reports, can anyone comment on it? Based on all the knowledge many users on here have maybe you can better explain to me how everything is.

Last edited:
has the lower intake manifold gasket been changes?
also has the injector pod been "up graded" to the new style one.
check w/owner if any of this was done. both are known problems for the 96-03 trucks.
thread here
don't know if you'll be able to see this one or not
SSF thread

You have the infamous LIM gasket leak. Welcome to the party. Stop driving it until you fix it. 16 ppm? Pppffttt! Check out my post in the UOA sub-forum titled, "What coolant in oil looks like", then you'll see some ppm.

Even the cheapest DIY coolant pressure test will expose the leak. Don't wait. It's called "silent death" for a reason.

On the upside, once you fix the leak, you couldn't ask for a more rock-solid engine.

Thanks for all the input here guys.

To answer some of your questions....

Originally Posted By: pair of Blazers
has the lower intake manifold gasket been changes?
also has the injector pod been "up graded" to the new style one.
check w/owner if any of this was done. both are known problems for the 96-03 trucks.
thread here
don't know if you'll be able to see this one or not
SSF thread

None of this has been done.
I think my vortec still has the CFI spider injector system but I'm hearing mixed reports that some 2002 motors had them since they were introduced. Looking at the vin card, engine code is W which states a CFI port. I guess we'll find out when I have to take the manifold apart to replace the gasket.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
You have the infamous LIM gasket leak. Welcome to the party. Stop driving it until you fix it. 16 ppm? Pppffttt! Check out my post in the UOA sub-forum titled, "What coolant in oil looks like", then you'll see some ppm.

Even the cheapest DIY coolant pressure test will expose the leak. Don't wait. It's called "silent death" for a reason.

On the upside, once you fix the leak, you couldn't ask for a more rock-solid engine.

I'll take it in to a friends shop and have him detect where the leak is coming from.
I'll report back for any of those who care lol

Originally Posted By: Donald
You should fix the intake gasket if it has not been done yet. Use FelPro gaskets. Is the coolant sludge looking?

Coolant still looks bright orange. Reading up on other forums that GM has a revised gasket for this motor to correct the issue. Will speak to a local parts guy and find out.

Originally Posted By: Doog
It's a GM engine....what else?

Yeah... Having a long history with GM engines, I only had one engine with a head gasket issue and it was another S10, but with the 2.2L motor which was infamous for gasket issues. Got a 3.6L that has 220,000km still running well and a 5.3L with 240,000km still running well. We'll see how long it lasts.

I always loved the s10 extremes. Hence why I got it. I thought these motors were the "bullet proof" vortecs, but reading up on it now, it doesn't seem that much different.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Rock solid engine would be one that doesn't fail prematurely with gasket issues at 130,000km.
wink.gif

I must say I am happy I got into this forum and started doing these UOA's to have a good idea of exactly whats going on in my engine. It has allowed me to catch a problem before it got worse. I now feel the money put into it was worth it especially that I want to keep this vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Replace the LIM gaskets or try a tube of Bars Leak Powder before it gets worse. It may slow it down or even stop it...

Not a fan of band aid solutions.
Might as well just fix the issue now than prolonging the inevitable.

Originally Posted By: philipfreire

I'm with you.

However, a relatively unknown fact is that many auto manufacturers add a "Barrs Stop Leak" type product to every car that rolls off the assembly line. I know for a fact that was standard GM & Ford practice in the 1960's thru 1980's. Don't know for sure if it's still done , but it wouldn't surprise me. I do know many FINE and nationally known machine shops that still do it To this day.

Z

Originally Posted By: zray
Originally Posted By: philipfreire

I'm with you.

However, a relatively unknown fact is that many auto manufacturers add a "Barrs Stop Leak" type product to every car that rolls off the assembly line. I know for a fact that was standard GM & Ford practice in the 1960's thru 1980's. Don't know for sure if it's still done , but it wouldn't surprise me. I do know many [url=FINhttp://variety.com/2015/film/news/furious-7-box-office-debut-1201466584/E][url=FINhttp://variety.com/2015/film/news/furious-7-box-office-debut-1201466584/E]FINhttp://variety.com/2015/film/news/furious-7-box-office-debut-1201466584/E[/url][/url] and nationally known machine shops that still do it To this day.

Z

It being a minor leak right now it will probably work. Since I made the change to synthetic I wonder if that has had any impact. I heard many people say synthetic oil will allow you to notice tiny leaks in your motor because of the flow characteristics? I'm not sure how much truth is in that.

But back to the Barrs stop leak. What happens as the gasket worsen? There's only a certain point the product is considered effective.

Originally Posted By: pair of Blazers
AFAIK the production injector change didn't happen until '03, if its a late 02 then maybe.

Is there any way to check the spider injectors without taking out the manifold? Like visually inspect it?

Originally Posted By: Doog
It's a GM engine....what else?

GM's do seem to have a problem keeping their coolant out of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back