Seeing a lot of Camoflaged cars lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a no stoplight town in WV. For the past few months, I've been seeing cars that are covered in cloth covers with all kinds of colors and designs to hide the shape and identity of the car. This is on 2 lane highways going north and south and east and west. I want to guess they are GM cars maybe Cadillacs. Can't say why but got that impression. They could be anything. Saw two the other day on the same road several cars and minutes between. I know they test new models out in the real world but in rural northeastern WV on 2 lane roads? Anybody else see this regularly?

Not regularly, but I have seen Mercedes test cars in camo around Birmingham. Their plant is less than an hour away.

Either there is a manufacturing/test facility in the region or there is something about the terrain/roads there they want to test on the cars.

Originally Posted By: loneryder

Then they are not doing a very good job.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Originally Posted By: loneryder

Then they are not doing a very good job.

grin.gif

I see BMW's fairly often. But there is a port where they process them fairly close to me. It is weird how they have the camo but it is easy to tell the brand of car at least.

Saw a camo van/minivan earlier this week on the I-105 in afternoon rush hour traffic. Black bra and camo material covered all angles, and the lady inside was surrounded by cameras and data logging equipment.
Worked to disguise it about as thoroughly as this one:

17_swiftsportriot.jpg

Living in Michigan, I see them from time to time. I'll also occasionally see vehicles with manufacturer plates before they're on sale to the public.

I saw some when I was in Colorado in 2011, coming down US 6 after crossing Loveland Pass. I was by myself in the car so I couldn't get pictures, but they looked like they may have been Buicks.

I'll make a guess that it was Motorweek? The PBS show is based out of Maryland and they film a lot in that area. Perhaps they had a car covered up for some reason?

Sometimes they put vinyl on cars for transportation, so they don't get spray on them or drips from cars above them on carriers. If it wasn't a top secret test but rather just a homely looking "wrap" this could have been.

When I lived in Morgantown, WV, I saw a lot of GM test vehicles there too. Must be something about WV roads. It's a good test area, because these are some pretty hard miles just in everyday driving there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back