For those who have never used RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: deven
Here is wording on the back of Royal Purple 5w40 regarding European requirements.
0402151629.jpg

What are ACEA A3/B3 warranty requirements?
It says it "meets," does not say it is approved by MB, BMW, VW etc. That is HUGE difference.

RP doesnt have any automotive manufacturer requirements ie 229.5 or 502.00 or LL-01 etc. I know M1 0w40 does have these req's as they test for it. I THINK but dont quote me on this, RP does test for ACEA A3/B3-04 and meets that.

Here is wording on the back of Royal Purple 5w40 regarding European requirements.
0402151629.jpg

What are ACEA A3/B3 warranty requirements?
It says it "meets," does not say it is approved by MB, BMW, VW etc. That is HUGE difference.

RP doesnt have any automotive manufacturer requirements ie 229.5 or 502.00 or LL-01 etc. I know M1 0w40 does have these req's as they test for it. I THINK but dont quote me on this, RP does test for ACEA A3/B3-04 and meets that.

They can "test" it, but unless ACEA, MB, BMW, VW etc, approve that, well........ they can test some more, but that means nothing.
M1, Castrol, Pennzoil, recently even Amsoil, have approvals! Meets or exceeds language is just marketing trick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
There is nothing wrong with RP 0W40 for older European cars, especially when you can get it for less than M1, Castrol ...

Yep. Of course, that's not always the case, and for most readers, it's rarely the case. It just happened that for me, it was the case. It still is, if one is buying at regular prices. However, now that we finally have jugs of things like Castrol 0w-40 and can get them on sale, that changes the matter.

Clevy: I think meets or exceeds is all you're going to get with an ACEA specification, as they are self-policed with no official list, unlike API or dexos1. Of course, they're using rather dated ACEA standards, but on the other side of the coin, they're up front about using dated ACEA sequences.

They can "test" it, but unless ACEA, MB, BMW, VW etc, approve that, well........ they can test some more, but that means nothing. M1, Castrol, Pennzoil, recently even Amsoil, have approvals! Meets or exceeds language is just marketing trick.

You know full well that the ACEA doesn't grant approvals or test oils themselves. Additionally, if it were fully approved for Benz, BMW, and VW/Audi standards, would you be running out and buying it?

Originally Posted By: Garak
They can "test" it, but unless ACEA, MB, BMW, VW etc, approve that, well........ they can test some more, but that means nothing. M1, Castrol, Pennzoil, recently even Amsoil, have approvals! Meets or exceeds language is just marketing trick.

You know full well that the ACEA doesn't grant approvals or test oils themselves. Additionally, if it were fully approved for Benz, BMW, and VW/Audi standards, would you be running out and buying it?

Maybe I would.
I was contemplating to use Red Line for some time, but no approval combined with price was a factor. However, if real synthetic oil like Red Line had approval, why not? It is tough for small oil producers to compete with M1 and Castrol when it comes to prices, especially Wal Mart. However, I will start using from next OCI in Tiguan Pentosin 5W40 because local guy has it, and it is Mid-SAPS. It goes for $46 5ltr jug.
Yes, I know it does not approve oils, I was just putting things in sentence.

Maybe I would.

Well, there you go, then.
wink.gif
I think the biggest beef people have with RP (aside from the it's not approved and I don't want it versus it's approved and I don't want "weak" API stuff) is the cost. Usually, when guys want an expensive, approved Euro lube around here, they're getting something like LM or whatever a local speed shop might bring in. So, RP might not win in the boutique market, even if it were approved. And we know it would have trouble competing against M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 when it comes to price.

So, given that the cost benefits of RP only work under very limited circumstances (i.e. someone in a place like Canada where oil can be expensive and RP is reasonably priced compared to other regular prices, and one doesn't wish to hunt sales), there's not a lot they can do. If I had something under warranty that required something with the approvals of M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40, I'd see no benefit to RP. If I simply wanted a 5w-40 grade, Delvac 1 is significantly cheaper than all the other choices. But, for a 0w-40, when it comes to price alone, one quart versus one quart or one jug versus one jug at regular prices, RP 0w-40 can compare favourably with M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40. On rollback, forget it, since RP only goes down 15%.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Maybe I would.

Well, there you go, then.
wink.gif
I think the biggest beef people have with RP (aside from the it's not approved and I don't want it versus it's approved and I don't want "weak" API stuff) is the cost. Usually, when guys want an expensive, approved Euro lube around here, they're getting something like LM or whatever a local speed shop might bring in. So, RP might not win in the boutique market, even if it were approved. And we know it would have trouble competing against M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 when it comes to price.

So, given that the cost benefits of RP only work under very limited circumstances (i.e. someone in a place like Canada where oil can be expensive and RP is reasonably priced compared to other regular prices, and one doesn't wish to hunt sales), there's not a lot they can do. If I had something under warranty that required something with the approvals of M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40, I'd see no benefit to RP. If I simply wanted a 5w-40 grade, Delvac 1 is significantly cheaper than all the other choices. But, for a 0w-40, when it comes to price alone, one quart versus one quart or one jug versus one jug at regular prices, RP 0w-40 can compare favourably with M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40. On rollback, forget it, since RP only goes down 15%.

Hey, I was paying M1 ESP 5W30 $127 for 12 bottles. If it is good oil, and will provide clear benefit, I will pay it. You are right, price is a factor, but if RP can prove benefits for my vehicle (carbonization) then I will buy it. Actually, talking about that, it just hit me that Amsoil got approved for MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04.
Only reason why I am not running M1 ESP 5W30 is TBN depletion.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
He didn't post that RP hydrocracked the base oil repeatedly.
He said that they gave the purchased basestock crackling tests, an enitrely different deal intended to detect water content.

I apologize for misunderstanding.
Deven. I'm sorry I misunderstood and took that to a whole new level.

No worries. I knew it was an oversight by you. I value your posts so no disrespect taken.

Thanks for accepting.
I know we can get a bit heated in here and I am no angel however when a man is wrong he can't deflect that nor make excuses therefore I wont.
Deven
I may not always agree with you however I do value your input and opinion. I know I can be a total jerk sometimes just know it's not personal.
Again I apologize.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
He didn't post that RP hydrocracked the base oil repeatedly.
He said that they gave the purchased basestock crackling tests, an enitrely different deal intended to detect water content.

No worries. I knew it was an oversight by you. I value your posts so no disrespect taken.

Thanks for accepting.
I know we can get a bit heated in here and I am no angel however when a man is wrong he can't deflect that nor make excuses therefore I wont.
Deven
I may not always agree with you however I do value your input and opinion. I know I can be a total jerk sometimes just know it's not personal.
Again I apologize.

It takes a bigger person to make a mistake and apologize for it. Its water under the bridge for me. Appreciate the apology and the kind words.
11.gif

Did somebody hack into Clevy's account? What the heck?
laugh.gif

I can't vouch for RP but I can for M1. I have a 2004 Toyota Camry that just rolled over 200,000 miles. I went out this morning to check the oil level and it would down maybe 1/6 of quart at the most. A lot of brand new vehicles can burn this much oil at 3,000 miles, let along one with 200,000 miles. I have used M1 exclusively and changed the oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. I see no reason to use RP when you can get five quarts of M1 at Wal-Mart for $26 and will work as good or better than RP. I seriously doubt RP would have worked any better and maybe not even as good. I am a serious believer in Mobil 1 after this vehicle and 1994 Ford Thunderbird that I had before the Toyota.

Originally Posted By: BradleyB
I can't vouch for RP but I can for M1. ............ I seriously doubt RP would have worked any better and maybe not even as good. I am a serious believer in Mobil 1 after this vehicle and 1994 Ford Thunderbird that I had before the Toyota.

You're not the only one:

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
..............(on the Fleet on 110 GM V6 racing engines used in Indy Lights first Generation) and now in vintage racing open seat series, ive done 3000 + rebuilds on those alone. I know what im taking about sir. Dozens upon dozens of oil brands and weights were used in these dry sump engines and Royal purple product results were/are average at best. for above average results two oils stand out: Mobil One, and The Valvoline VR syns. these are facts not opinions.

I've suspected Mobil1 of NOT being the best on many occasions, and have not used it in the last few years. Generally liked Pennzoil and Valvoline in the past, with Castrol gold bottle winning me over recently. Certainly RP does nothing to hint its better.

I have run RP in my car. Two times in a row. Second time I started having ALOT of valvetrain noise upon start up. I have NEVER had anything like before. I am guessing but the RP just drained off the top end so much so that it didn't leave enough of a film behind to keep the noise down. Well as soon as I replaced it with the Castrol in the gold bottle.. The noise was gone. Just like normal as it was before. And I haven't had it since i have been running the Havoline either. Just my own experience with royal purple. I am not going to say its a bad product because I did use it a second run in my car. But I just don't like hearing valvetrain noise that I have not ever heard before or since. A strange deal in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back