2016 ILX massive improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the dealer recently for some work on my MDX and they always hand out a loaner. Previously I got a TSX wagon(nice!) and an ILX they apologized about.

The 2016 ILX I saw with a window sticker of $28k is really a nice car. The engine has wonderful power and shifting was decent. I believe an Accord 2.4L coupled to an 8 speed automatic. The MPG meter average from all drivers was 30MPG. The car is very quiet too and a great ride/balance for its size. A really nice loaner!

This car is a massive improvement over the previous ILX which seemed like an up scale Civic with the same gutless motor.

I drove one of the last generations, but it had the bigger engine and a manual transmission. I thought it was great, but you are right about it being an upscale Civic.

I like the looks of the new one, but Acura isn't offering a manual option anymore. That's a shame.

Guessing you didn't have a K24 equipped ILX last time. You probably would have liked that car as it has essentially the same amount of power as the one you recently drove.

It's not the same engine as an Accord. Both K24s, but different power outputs. The ILX has about 30 more horsepower.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
6 speed Accord Sport would be my choice over this Acura.

Agree totally. Bigger/better car. It's one thing to have a low end version of a high end car, but acuras strike me as niced-up Hondas and European Hondas with fancy badges for the U.S. market.

At least besides the Camry clone, most Lexus have their own character.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Agree totally. Bigger/better car. It's one thing to have a low end version of a high end car, but acuras strike me as niced-up Hondas and European Hondas with fancy badges for the U.S. market.

Car by the pound ? J/K

Accord is one of the few mid-size sedans with manual transmission. Many manufactures abandon manual transmission altogether, even some supposed to be sport cars. Kudos to Honda for M/T.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Car by the pound ? J/K

Accord is one of the few mid-size sedans with manual transmission. Many manufactures abandon manual transmission altogether, even some supposed to be sport cars. Kudos to Honda for M/T.

+1.

Not sure I understand what a fancy badge is. Badge engineering across brands generally allows the consumer to purchase a vehicle with options and features not available in models of the same platform under a different brand.

The ILX is such a case. It's Civic-sized, but offers features that are unavailable on a Civic.

My TSX is a rebadged European Accord. I was coming from a 2001 Civic and wanted something with a little more power and comfort. I didn't want an Accord (too big - bigger isn't always better) or a Civic SI (too ricey). The TSX fit the bill perfectly, and continues to. 185k miles later and it's still the perfect commuter for me, "fancy" badge and all.
smile.gif

Last edited:

You really like that Accord huh? You say the same thing in every post. Good for you.

I like the Accord Sport 6mt also. It has a deficit of equipment though.

However I would not cross shop the ILX with an Accord except maybe an upper line(Accord EX-L) model. Not sure how the Accord CVT compares(never driven) compared to the 8 speed automatic(DCT?) in the ILX.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5

Not sure I understand what a fancy badge is. Badge engineering across brands generally allows the consumer to purchase a vehicle with options and features not available in models of the same platform under a different brand.

The ILX is such a case. It's Civic-sized, but offers features that are unavailable on a Civic.

My TSX is a rebadged European Accord. I was coming from a 2001 Civic and wanted something with a little more power and comfort. I didn't want an Accord (too big - bigger isn't always better) or a Civic SI (too ricey). The TSX fit the bill perfectly, and continues to. 185k miles later and it's still the perfect commuter for me, "fancy" badge and all.
smile.gif

What a fancy badge is?!? You realize that Acura, Infiniti and Lexus were just made-up brands to bolster Japanese econobox bottom lines, primarily in the USA?

Unlike Daimler Benz (who does admittedly produce low end cars), BMW, and Audi (where VW does make low end cars but Audi always had a brand discriminator), Acura is practically the same vehicles with the similar drivetrains and engines.

At least Lexus offers some RWD V8 vehicles in addition to its Camry clone.

A few of the Acura vehicles are ok, but they're too poser-esque for my liking. An ILX is a car for someone who wants a '"fancy" car but can't afford something else.

You can tell/prove me wrong all you like, but they need my greenbacks, and so since that's my impression/sense of reality, I'll shop Lexus and that's about it. And I'd buy a Honda. But I have no interest in Acura.

And we have owned an acura Integra.

Originally Posted By: EvanD
They lost the manual option. I would have liked a performance version.

DCTs are often considered a performance version now since they can shift faster than an MT.

Of course, whether they hide it in the price or not, you know it's a $1000-1500 option and liability.

It's not the same engine as an Accord. Both K24s, but different power outputs. The ILX has about 30 more horsepower.

The ILX has 16 more horsepower comparing to the Accord Sport, or 21 more horsepower comparing to other Accords. 206 to the Accord Sport's 190 or other Accords' 185.

You can tell/prove me wrong all you like...

Not possible. We can't prove your opinion to be wrong...it is YOUR opinion!
smile.gif

Some of us may not share it, but as you said, Acura's success is measured by those willing to buy them. If they need to change their direction in the future to attract more buyers, I'm sure they will. As it stands, they seem to be fairly successful in what they're doing.

I would say that judging the ILX to be something for someone who can't afford anything else may not be fair. That's like saying the BMW 3-series is only for someone who can't afford a new 750. The ILX offers attributes that other Acuras, and that other Hondas, don't offer. It will appeal to some and not to others.

That's the wonderful thing about choice. We're blessed to have it.

The ILX came "before" market existed for entry level luxury compacts. ILX is now at least competitive with Audi A3(a rebadge of Jetta) and the MB CLA(FWD???) and has a price advantage to a degree over them.

The folks I know who buy Acura around here do it because they don't like the image of BMW and MB and also stupid servicing prices. An oil change on those vehicles stings at $150-$200 at the dealer but an Acura dealer you spend $40 and get your car washed/vacuum too. They also tend to be quite reliable which cannot be said of BMW/MB mix as they really just Honda's with decent interiors and plethora of tech that actually works.

Not my type of car either but a really nice refreshing loaner to be handed the keys to.

Isn't it true that Acura sales have been declining since they went "full beak" in their front end?

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The ILX came "before" market existed for entry level luxury compacts. ILX is now at least competitive with Audi A3(a rebadge of Jetta) and the MB CLA(FWD???) and has a price advantage to a degree over them.

The folks I know who buy Acura around here do it because they don't like the image of BMW and MB and also stupid servicing prices. An oil change on those vehicles stings at $150-$200 at the dealer but an Acura dealer you spend $40 and get your car washed/vacuum too. They also tend to be quite reliable which cannot be said of BMW/MB mix as they really just Honda's with decent interiors and plethora of tech that actually works.

Not my type of car either but a really nice refreshing loaner to be handed the keys to.

I Agree,
I wouldn't have looked twice at the ILX prior to the appearance refresh and addition of the 8sp (torque converter incorporated) dual clutch transmission. I reference the TC because for those that have never driven a dual clutch, they tend to be clunky and jerky at parking lot speeds, akin to someone learning how to drive a manual. The addition of the TC completely eliminates that. Excellent vehicle.

smile.gif

What a fancy badge is?!? You realize that Acura, Infiniti and Lexus were just made-up brands to bolster Japanese econobox bottom lines, primarily in the USA?

Unlike Daimler Benz (who does admittedly produce low end cars), BMW, and Audi (where VW does make low end cars but Audi always had a brand discriminator), Acura is practically the same vehicles with the similar drivetrains and engines.

At least Lexus offers some RWD V8 vehicles in addition to its Camry clone.

A few of the Acura vehicles are ok, but they're too poser-esque for my liking. An ILX is a car for someone who wants a '"fancy" car but can't afford something else.

You can tell/prove me wrong all you like, but they need my greenbacks, and so since that's my impression/sense of reality, I'll shop Lexus and that's about it. And I'd buy a Honda. But I have no interest in Acura.

And we have owned an acura Integra.

I was poking you about the "fancy" badge comment - yes, I understand badge engineering. My point was to look beyond the badge - to what the cars really are. You seem to think that every Lexus/Infiniti/Acura is just a rebadged poor man's model.

No use in going further down this road.

Last edited:
My mom had an Acura Legend then an Acura RL with 4 wheel drive and all the stupid electronic junk . Both cars were a driving disappointment. I can't see the driving pleasure in any Honda product I have had the chance to drive. Overpriced econo boxes. My next door neighbors daughters Ferrari F430 is a much nicer and more satisfying car in every way [ it is the only ferrari I like].
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back