Driving after dark with no lights on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing this more and more...people driving down the freeway at night with no lights on...even flashing my lights at them doesn't seem to give them a clue....sure, why not add another stupid and dangerous thing to the ever growing list of idiotic things drivers are doing these days? This is what a complete lack of a law enforcement presence does to our roads, turns them into a free-for-all!

Dude, it's a gang initiation thing! They see who flashes high beams then box you in and stop your car. Then they stick Hillary bumper stickers on your car and only button the top button on their shirts!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Dude, it's a gang initiation thing! They see who flashes high beams then box you in and stop your car. Then they stick Hillary bumper stickers on your car and only button the top button on their shirts!
i seen that in "urban legend" let them drive without no lights, it's not your problem

I'm seeing this on an almost daily basis in Minneapolis. I have no idea how you can't realize you don't have headlights on. I drive older cars - do newer vehicles have illuminated dashboards (I am sure they do), so the owner believes lights are on?

I can't even wrap my head around this, but it is incredibly dangerous.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
Call 911 and report them.
Good idea. It's probable cause to stop, whining about profiling won't help them in court. Good chance the boys will find something interesting in the car.

I've seen this on I8 in Socal and AZ only they do it on the wrong side of the road. Illegal running, sorry I'm sure that isn't PC.

Smoky

Happens all the time where I live also. Then you have folks coming over into your lane because they are busy on the phone, even driving slow on the freeway, phone again. Light turns green, and no movement from the car in front of you. Phone again. You really have to be a defensive driver in order to not get run over.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm seeing this more and more...people driving down the freeway at night with no lights on...even flashing my lights at them doesn't seem to give them a clue....sure, why not add another stupid and dangerous thing to the ever growing list of idiotic things drivers are doing these days? This is what a complete lack of a law enforcement presence does to our roads, turns them into a free-for-all!

I take you are a perfect driver that has never broken a traffic law?

Originally Posted By: mjk
I drive older cars - do newer vehicles have illuminated dashboards (I am sure they do), so the owner believes lights are on?

Yes.

I'm so used to driving vehicles with automatic lights that now when I'm driving one with manual headlights I catch myself sometimes at dusk with no lights.

Originally Posted By: dernp
Originally Posted By: grampi

I take you are a perfect driver that has never broken a traffic law?
And your point? It's clear to most of us that this behaviour can be intentional when gang morons are involved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I don't know; most of the people Ive seen driving with no lights are older. Say 50+.
OLder folks tend to lose night vision. Seems to me that makes it less likely they can drive without lights and not notice. Are THEY joining gangs?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I don't know; most of the people Ive seen driving with no lights are older. Say 50+.

Senior citizen gangs are the worst.

These people are neither gang members, running illegals nor older folks.
They're hypermilers.
Do you know how much fuel it costs to produce the additional amps to run the headlamps?

The problem is the roads are so lit up, that you can't tell your headlamps are on!!!

I have done this many times, you just can't tell your lights are on, you finally realize they are off, but I've drove 1/2 mile before I realized that.

In the UK, It's legal to drive on parking (side) lights on roads with street lighting ..... until it's completely dark at night; even then, they may use parking lights only in areas where the road is lit.

I see people who won't turn on their headlights until it's black as night outside. why? they are probably trying to extend headlight bulb life. stupid I know. enter daytime running lights, but it infringes on our freedoms, some will disable their daytime running lights anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back