Spark plugs and oil consumption"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can spark plugs that are severely out of gap contribute to oil consumption? I just changed out the plugs on my 2009 Chrysler T&C. I checked the gap on the old ones when I pulled them. Gap is supposed to be .050. They all checked out at .075 to .080. My theory (just a WAG) is that a plug that is that far out of gap will result in incomplete fuel burn, which in turn leads to heavier fuel dilution. Heavy fuel dilution leads to a higher NOACK, thus higher oil usage/consumption. Sound plausible?

As a side note, I was using a full quart of oil every 1000 miles. At 500 miles, i would lose half a quart. Oil usage has been pretty consistent using a variety of oils (Mobil1, Pennz Plat, Pennz Ultra). This OCI, I used Mobil1HM 5w/30. 600 miles into the OCI, there was no consumption. I am now 1250 miles into the OCI and am only down about 1/3 of a quart. Not sure if the drop in consumption is due to the oil, the plugs, or both. Will report back the mileage when I am down a quart.

P.S.: if a high mileage oil seems to drastically reduce consumption, I will try Maxlife Syn Blend ($16 vs $26). Is Maxlife Syn Blend stout enough for 8k oci's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back