Valvoline VR1 mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be ok to mix three quarts of Valvoline VR1 conventional 20w-50 with One quart of the VR1 synthetic 20w-50 to make my own blend? No bad interactions with the mix?

It'll be fine, go right ahead
smile.gif

I use the Vr1 20w50 conventional in my old EG, but it says right on the bottle not to use it on vehicles that have catalytic converters.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
What are you using it in?

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf
Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches( use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil).

Harleys do not share the engine oil with the transmission or primary so that does not matter. Also...I have run it in my shared sump Triumph and there was no clutch issues.

Valvoline makes 3 versions of their racing oil. The conventional and synthetic versions ha API SL and SN rating, which are fine for vehicles with catalytic converters. They also make an oil which states it's "NOT street legal", because it may contaminate your catalytic converter. That is a true track oil. You can do a google search to see the MSDS sheets for those oils. The first two oils are the ones that are hard to beat in street bikes.,,,

Last edited:
Do they test bikes for smog? The o2 sensor before the cat tells the bike how rich/lean to run so you could take the cats off and not hurt anything. Plus, if your bike does not burn any oil it doesn't matter how much P/Z is in the oil.

ROD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Valvoline makes 3 versions of their racing oil. The conventional and synthetic versions ha API SL and SN rating, which are fine for vehicles with catalytic converters. They also make an oil which states it's "NOT street legal", because it may contaminate your catalytic converter. That is a true track oil. You can do a google search to see the MSDS sheets for those oils. The first two oils are the ones that are hard to beat in street bikes.,,,

Well it is really more due to the fact that racing oils also do not have the detergents/dispersants needed to keep your engine clean if you used it in a passenger car. They just load up on anti wear additives. No need for detergents when you are dumping your oil constantly. There are plenty of performance vintage cars without cats on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

Well it is really more due to the fact that racing oils also do not have the detergents/dispersants needed to keep your engine clean if you used it in a passenger car. They just load up on anti wear additives. No need for detergents when you are dumping your oil constantly. There are plenty of performance vintage cars without cats on them.
Well, that's not exactly true.Take a look at this one. Looks better then Harley's VOA, but some people refuse to believe what they read. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._HD#Post1967684

BigCahuna, I was talking about the Not Street Legal line from Valvoline that says to not use it in a street car. I know the normal VR1 line is good to roll in a street car. I have used it at the Kendall GT1 many times in my small block and big block chevys. And in fact I recommend them often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back