Anyone else having a good lol at Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, they were just a car manufacturer like Ford or Toyota or VW.

Then they decided they were going to be a "sporty" brand. Except not many people bought into it so they gave that up and became a luxury bra-WAIT JUST KIDDING WE'RE MAKING LUXURY SPORTS CARS NOW. The cars don't really offer more than any comparable company, but we sure as [censored] charge more!

Now we're going to try to copy Aston Martin!

Are they just getting desperate and trying everything they can to try to expand their brand? It's really funny to me, not sure about any of you. They can't seem to figure it out.

Smoking deal if you buy cash.
wink.gif

I was recently at one, and I seen $50,000 on one.. my mounth fell open.. I looked at the saleman like he was dumb.. He said "were competing with BMW now". I said "for that price why not just buy a BMW.. he had no retort..

Agree that Hyundai's product plan appears to be all over the board, but they've become a serious force in the N. American market with sales approaching a million. They're also now considering a plant here. The Sonata styling from a few years back set the bar for the D segment.

A somewhat scattered marketing plan is shared by other OEMs, e.g. FCA's Fiat, Alfa, SRT, Ram brands, Infiniti, Mini Cooper's expanded-then-reduced lineup etc.... Never a dull moment in the hyper-competitive auto industry.

Americans will buy anything, remember the Chevette, remember the Yugo, remember the Corvair, even spell check does not recognize Corvair or Chevette. Put a motor in it, we will buy it...imho.

For those of us who remember the 60's and GTO's,and 442's, real rides....

the straight facts are that they are a highly successful auto maker, for good reason. they also employ thousands of americans to build said vehicles. i always recommend a hyundai or kia for someone who asks for my opinion.

They've been cannibalizing Big Three small car sales since they came here, now they're after the large car sales too. I'm still not that impressed with them, they still seem to be falling apart after 3-5 years.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Americans will buy anything, remember the Chevette, remember the Yugo, remember the Corvair, even spell check does not recognize Corvair or Chevette. Put a motor in it, we will buy it...imho.

Not for long...

Hyundai/Kia doesn't fit this bill. Sorry...

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the straight facts are that they are a highly successful auto maker, for good reason. they also employ thousands of americans to build said vehicles. i always recommend a hyundai or kia for someone who asks for my opinion.

+1

Originally Posted By: harbor
They're also now considering a plant here.

They've had a plant in Alabama for a decade now... What are you thinking about?

Does he mean in MI?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Does he mean in MI?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Sorry, meant additional plant as announced at the NY auto show for additional crossover capacity. Location is TBD, but they're welcome here in MI.

Hyundai's are dung. I'd never buy one, but to each their own. Anyone pays high dollar for one that they could get a Euro or U.S. luxury model for, is a raving idiot.

The Sonata styling from a few years back set the bar for the D segment.

Oh so that's who I blame for feeling like I'm sitting in the tub trying to drive with no visibility.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Hyundai's are dung. I'd never buy one, but to each their own. Anyone pays high dollar for one that they could get a Euro or U.S. luxury model for, is a raving idiot.

That's abit harsh.. I do feel in some ways they are more "bling" than solid.

But today's hyundai is not the excel.

Last edited:
They're a brand with no heart, no heritage, no roots, and no soul. Fine for low to mid end cars, but empty nameplates don't mesh with high end lux or sport. People looking to spend are looking for a marque. Hyundai ain't it. How many successful sales professionals are pulling up in a Hyundai vs. a Beemer, 'Cedes, Caddy, or etc?

Perhaps the analogy to Toyota and Nissan launching Lexus and Infiniti will be offered. However, both are borne of Japan's heritage in manufacturing dating back to before W.W. II and can claim the spirit of the unique culture and ethic from which said industry sprang (essence of the strong Japanese cultural quest for perfection). That historical essence is not found in S. Korea that I know of.

Actually, their sister marque, KIA does have the Soul
wink.gif

They're a brand with no heart, no heritage, no roots, and no soul. Fine for low to mid end cars, but empty nameplates don't mesh with high end lux or sport. People looking to spend are looking for a marque. Hyundai ain't it.

They're a brand with no heart, no heritage, no roots, and no soul. Fine for low to mid end cars, but empty nameplates don't mesh with high end lux or sport. People looking to spend are looking for a marque.

You mean, like Lexus? They've been here since, what, 19-aught-89 or so? Almost as long as Hyundai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back