Double Stacked Wheel-Weights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Hmm.. they said it gives a better balance because of the distance between the 2 rim lips, less compromise. Not true?

Yes, I agree with that statement also.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
As mentioned, it looks like they were trying to hide the weights behind the spoke, which some new machines can do.

So, I'd say it's perfectly fine unless it's shaking on the highway.

I wouldn't take it back unless there's an issue you notice while driving.

Well that's the odd thing. Sometimes I'll get a shake and sometimes not. The roads around here, even the interstate is deplorable, so it's hard to tell. I'll know better in a couple weeks when I move out of state. I will find a more compitent shop. The guy I ordered them from was a complete jerk, but they had the best price. Lesson learned I guess.

An imbalance will be there 100% of the time. If you are getting a shake that comes and goes, it is likely something loose in the suspension - a bushing or a ball joint.

Actually, it's the opposite. Balance concerns come and go with alternating speeds. Ball joints and bushings are either worn or not.

As far as the OP's weights, no way to use a clip on weight anyway. It is fine, but not neatly done. At least they didn't do just a static balance with weight on the inside only. Among other reasons, tires not perfectly round, or balanced can also go in and out of phase on the same axel, causing vibration to come and go.

Maybe GSCJR can confirm this, the tire shop told me that lip balancing is far better than stick-ons behind the face. Takes about 1/2 the weight to get a better balance.

Maybe not half but less weight needs to be used the closer to the outer edge of a circle. Because physics.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Maybe GSCJR can confirm this, the tire shop told me that lip balancing is far better than stick-ons behind the face. Takes about 1/2 the weight to get a better balance.

Maybe not half but less weight needs to be used the closer to the outer edge of a circle. Because physics.

Yeah. Lip balancing takes less weight but isnt always possible on the outside. It usually can be done on the inside and that's how I would do it here is a wieght on the inner lip and tape weights on the outer edge.

I will admit I have stacked weights before. Usually on Annoying super heavy LT tires that want 8,10,12oz of weight per side. In those cases it was usually tape and lip weight. I usually would try to limit to 4oz on the lip or it looks stupid so the overage would go on the inside.

[/quote]

Precisely; I clean the surfaces by removing road grime, brake dust and previous weight adhesive residue prior to the installation of the new weights. [/quote]

GSCJR,

How do you remove the previous weight adhesive residue. I have tried but haven't found a good way. Hopefully a way that doesn't ruin the wheel finish.

Originally Posted By: White 03
GSCJR,

How do you remove the previous weight adhesive residue. I have tried but haven't found a good way. Hopefully a way that doesn't ruin the wheel finish.

Alcohol and a plastic scraper

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: White 03
GSCJR,

Alcohol and a plastic scraper

Thank you, I will give this a try next time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back