Reply from Toyota on gas additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a whim and emailed Toyota CS.
They actually responded fairly quickly.
This is what they said,

Fuel additives [Incident: 150402-000181]
Ask Toyota
To
me
Dear Mr. Jones,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your question regarding the recommendation of fuel additives for your 2011 Camry.

The only condition that Toyota offers in regards to fuel for the 2011 Camry is that it needs to have an octane rating of 87 or higher. The use of additives such as Chevron Techron can be used at the discretion of the consumer, but are not required for use with the vehicle.

We hope that this information has been useful and that you continue to enjoy driving your Camry for many miles to come. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Justin Lee
Toyota Customer Experience Center

All gasoline in US has additive to keep fuel system clean, top tier gasoline has up to 5 times more additive mandated by EPA.

All Chevron grades have Techron in it, premium probably has more than mid grade and regular.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
All gasoline in US has additive to keep fuel system clean, top tier gasoline has up to 5 times more additive mandated by EPA.

All Chevron grades have Techron in it, premium probably has more than mid grade and regular.

No Chevrons here. I use Quik Trip gas Top Tier, sometime HYvee gas but not sure if it is Top Tier. They do have 91 octane, ZERO moonshine.

Most car companies today recommend Top Tier gas. The owner's manuals of my 2002 cars do as well.

That being said, I mainly use BJ's gas and fill up at a Top Tier station once every few months. I also dump a bottle of Techron in each of my cars annually.

There is no gas on the market that provides enough cleaners to prevent carbon build up that Ive seen, they may have enough to keep it at bay for 60 or 80,000 miles but carbon is growing, and will eventually cause issue.

I recently had 2 vehicles fuel injection manually decarboned with 120,000 miles on them and wow really made new motors out of them.

Last edited:
Mackelroy said:
There is no gas on the market that provides enough cleaners to prevent carbon build up that Ive seen, they may have enough to keep it at bay for 60 or 80,000 miles but carbon is growing, and will eventually cause issue.

I recently had 2 vehicles fuel injection manually decarboned with 120,000 miles on them and wow really made new motors out of them. [/quote

How did they manually de-carbon it?

I do a techron cleaning (one tank of fuel) every 20,000 miles on all of my Toyota s along with a new air filter (Fram). at 200,000 miles (when I trade in) they are all running fine. I clean the maf and throttle body at 120-140,000 when I replace spark plugs and the Tb is barely dirty. So 9 cleanings in 200k seems to do the job for me.

scrub brush in the throttle bodys, and super concentrated cleaner.

The first vehicle I did this with, had idle issues and near stalling at times and also began to intermittently not want to start at all sometimes, totally cleaned it up, functioned perfect afterwards.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I know you used "up to" but that is completely misleading. Only a few Top Tier gasoline providers do 5x EPA requirements (BP, Shell, Costco is about it). Top Tier only requires 2.5x more than EPA minimums.

sorry for late reply. Had to run out of town, MIL in hospital.

I asked if Toyota recommended additives, they dont. Just gas 87 octane or higher.

Now I did rum 93 BP on the way back today. Camry likes it!

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
scrub brush in the throttle bodys, and super concentrated cleaner.

I don't think fuel additives will prevent that gradual build-up in the throttle body, will they?

I think the big concern is build-up on the intake valves, and with port fuel injection the fuel has an opportunity to 'wash' these valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back