Teflon

Status
Not open for further replies.
No don't use it. It coats everything... including small oil passages. Actually resulted in higher wear on the UOA

IIRC that test was done by the University of Utah. I could dig up the article if you want, but the jist of it is although it reduced internal friction and increased horsepower, it plugged oil passages and increased wear on the motor. EP/AW additives like ZDDP, Boron, and Molybdenum are a much better bet if you ware looking to cut down on wear as those only deposit themselves in a microscopically thin layer on wear surfaces

Last edited:
I couldn't find the original press release, but this is interesting where it shows the scammer Tufoil was part of the issue (and it does appear to contain most or all of the original statement by Du Pont:

http://openjurist.org/814/f2d/775/flotech-inc-v-ei-du-pont-nemours-and-company

It's amazing to me that a company had to go to court to defend themselves against a suit about the stated uses for their own product
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Dupont has stated that the stuff has no place in an engine.

both me and my friends use slick50 and duralube we believe it makes your engine run cooler and last longer
but i can offer no proof that it does amything

Originally Posted By: jacky
both me and my friends use slick50 and duralube we believe it makes your engine run cooler and last longer

Whatever has kept a 1999 Plymouth Breeze alive for 107k this long is definitely working for you.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

Whatever has kept a 1999 Plymouth Breeze alive for 107k this long is definitely working for you.
glad you agree

Well that's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one.

Which Slick 50 are you using?

both me and my friends use slick50 and duralube we believe it makes your engine run cooler and last longer but i can offer no proof that it does amything

slick 50 hm motor treatment
i have also used duralube fuel system cleaner
and i also like slick 50 spray on lubricant for door hinges etc..
when i change my tranny fluid i may use a slick 50 additive
i know opinions on here regarding slick50 but i have used their products since around 1992 and my engines have lasted over 200k
i feel that if their product wasnt any good they would not have been in business for so many years

i know opinions on here regarding slick50 but i have used their products since around 1992 and my engines have lasted over 200k
i feel that if their product wasnt any good they would not have been in business for so many years

Well, I'll agree with you that it is impossible to know if it does anything, how are you supposed to test it anyway? And besides, the company only has testimonials on their website, no data whatsoever:

http://www.slick50.com/youJustKnow/testimonials.php

An example:

Quote:
Some good stuff. Works great.

In the FAQ it says that Slick 50® Recharged High Mileage Engine Treatment contains a small amount of PTFE, but nowhere that I could find do they make any specific claims as to why or what it does. I take that to mean that they learned a lesson from Tufoil and don't want to get sued.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Well, I'll agree with you that it is impossible to know if it does anything, how are you supposed to test it anyway? And besides, the company only has testimonials on their website, no data whatsoever:

An example:

Quote:

In the FAQ it says that Slick 50® Recharged High Mileage Engine Treatment contains a small amount of PTFE, but nowhere that I could find do they make any specific claims as to why or what it does. I take that to mean that they learned a lesson from Tufoil and don't want to get sued.
you own cars that are known to be dependable and you may not need or want it, my car is not dependable and needs all the help it can get, also if i told i can make the best tasting hamburger ever would you try it yourself? or wait to see scientific proof?

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
No don't use it. It coats everything... including small oil passages. Actually resulted in higher wear on the UOA

IIRC that test was done by the University of Utah. I could dig up the article if you want, but the jist of it is although it reduced internal friction and increased horsepower, it plugged oil passages and increased wear on the motor. EP/AW additives like ZDDP, Boron, and Molybdenum are a much better bet if you ware looking to cut down on wear as those only deposit themselves in a microscopically thin layer on wear surfaces

Wear cannot be measured by a typical used oil analysis. Not whatsoever.

An example:

Quote:

you own cars that are known to be dependable and you may not need or want it, my car is not dependable and needs all the help it can get, also if i told i can make the best tasting hamburger ever would you try it yourself? or wait to see scientific proof?

You are so far in the dark no light will ever,EVER reach you.

Your posts are painful to read,filled with nonsense,conjecture and baseless opinion.
Duralube,slick 50 and the snake oils they sit with do only one thing. Seperate a fool from their money.
You want an additive that actually works look at the liqui-moly line.
And I'm speaking from experience. See I've bought all that garbage once. Only once. Because unless I see some benefit they don't get another penny from me.
And I can tell you from experience they are garbage and detract from the oil you put it in.
A fool and his money are soon parted. Take note jacko

Originally Posted By: Clevy

An example:

Quote:

You are so far in the dark no light will ever,EVER reach you.

Your posts are painful to read,filled with nonsense,conjecture and baseless opinion.
Duralube,slick 50 and the snake oils they sit with do only one thing. Seperate a fool from their money.
You want an additive that actually works look at the liqui-moly line.
And I'm speaking from experience. See I've bought all that garbage once. Only once. Because unless I see some benefit they don't get another penny from me.
And I can tell you from experience they are garbage and detract from the oil you put it in.
A fool and his money are soon parted. Take note jacko
im sorry my opinion displeases you, the person who started this thread wanted to hear opinions from forum members, i have gave mine

Why not? You can measure the amount of metal that appears in a given location and infer wear from that

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Why not? You can measure the amount of metal that appears in a given location and infer wear from that

Because it's not accurate. Only a tear down comparing weight and dimensions will give an accurate measure of wear.

My suggestion is look up the member named Doug hillary. He is an expert and has been involved with mobil and Castrol since the 60s. It was from him I learned that wear metals in a used oil analysis is basically meaningless and is not in any way an accurate measure of wear.
Since he's an actual expert his opinion carries weight.
Ask overkill. Have you ever seen him wrong. He'll straighten you out.

For example your oil could have visible metal in it yet the used oil analysis will show low wear metals.
Why.
Because the chunks are too big for the equipment to see.
On the other end an engine may sit and the cam may pit on the surfaces where there's no contact so wear metals may be very high yet there's no actual wear on contacting surfaces.
So a 30 dollar used oil analysis is not SN accurate indicator of wear. Their function is to monitor the condition of the oil and to see if there's coolant intrusion.
Look it up. See for yourself.

Clevy - applaud on your post

In fact the used oil analysis - is significantly overvalued,
A metal particles do not dissolved in the oil
smile.gif
they settle, most will not pass filtration, especially synth material. Having broken a compression ring the oil analyzes show nothing - was a perfect result.

back to the topic, I'm not planning to use. I'm curious, if any firmly effect exist, to use Teflon like substance, in almost nano particles, inside the engine. Personally, I'm so skeptical on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back