DI carbon issues blown out of proportion? Probably

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
My 435i with 10k miles on it just had the ports walnut blasted. I had to pay out of pocket because they said I wasn't using top tier gasoline.

Regards,

HAF

Were you using Top Tier? The article does mention VW/Audi and BMW as the primary sufferers. This would make the case that the lubricants used have little effect because stouter oils and approvals than what those makes require cannot be found.

Happy April Fools! (HAF). Gotcha..
wink.gif

11.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: oily boyd
Just passed 100,000 miles on my 2013 Honda Accord I4 with DI.

I bought in January 2013, so it's really getting a good workout plus a bit higher revving than CVT due to my manual transmission. No driveabilty problems (or any other problems for that matter).

Just adding "my" data point. I'll be doing UOA at next oil change; not expecting anything bad, though. If you search UOA section, you'll see my 30K and 60K(?) reports.

With that kind of miles in such a short period of time, my bet is you'd be one of the people w/o problems. Its the short hoppers that are going to be more prone to problems.

+1

I fully expect DI deposits to rear their ugly head on my wife's Q5, given her short 3-mile one-way daily commute.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
The sky is falling, the sky is falling...

Lets hear from all the catch can believers who think a guy in a garage out smarted millions of dollars of research and development by engineers.

Catch can seller outsmarted someone alright, his customers...

DI has been blown out of proportion, of course it has. This is BITOG! We blow all kinds of stuff out of proportion! But the catch can comment is misguided. On their own, of course they do nothing, but VTA'd through a fixed orifice in conjunction with EGR being deleted/blocked/mapped out the problem is solved.
PCV provides an amount of moisture and blowby but n their own they don't cause hardly any deposits until they mix with the soot from the EGR to form a kind of 'tar' which can settle and 'bake on' depending on driving style and the quality of oil/fuel/filtration in the vehicle

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: oily boyd
Just passed 100,000 miles on my 2013 Honda Accord I4 with DI.

I bought in January 2013, so it's really getting a good workout plus a bit higher revving than CVT due to my manual transmission. No driveabilty problems (or any other problems for that matter).

Just adding "my" data point. I'll be doing UOA at next oil change; not expecting anything bad, though. If you search UOA section, you'll see my 30K and 60K(?) reports.

How do you have 100K on a car that can't be much more than a year and a half in service?
That's around 1.4K each week.
Not doubting you, just wondering what you do, beyond driving, to rack up that kind of use.

My step dad worked in the oil field business. He got a new Dodge Pickup, and after he had the truck one year it had 126,000 miles on it!

2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv, been driving it like I stole it since day 1. I run my oil 30,000 miles using the microGreen filters (0W-20). UOA looked good, economy and performance are fine. I use QT and Shell 87 octane gas. Both are top tier. I really didn't study the DI "issue" before I bought the car. Since the entire intake manifold assembly has to be removed from this car to access the PCV valve a catch can never crossed my mind, either.

I should have also mentioned, 66,000 miles and it's never been to the dealer or a shop. Just maintenance at home and Discount, for a set of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back