R1200GS - AmsOil 20w50 @10K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sample was taken from a 2007 R1200GS Air Cooled BMW.
40K miles on bike when oil was added, 50K when it was changed.

Bike is ridden daily 45 miles each way in stop and go rush hour traffic through the heart of LA 5 days a week in all weather.

Sample had 9938 miles on it when the oil was changed. No oil was added for the duration the sample was run.

07%20R1200GS-031415.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report. Thanks for sharing and welcome to BITOG!

Quote:
Bike is ridden daily 45 miles each way in stop and go rush hour traffic through the heart of LA 5 days a week in all weather.

Wow! It's one thing to ride a small bike in stop-and-go traffic, but to do it on a big bike like the R1200GS? Wow!

Well the prior one it replaced (DL650) was a better daily commuter but lacked the power needed when you have to make the quick pass. It had 135K miles on it before I sold it. The astonishing thing is the oil analysis I did at 80K and 100+K were nearly identical.
That bike got the oil changed every 5-6K since it was shared with the transmission and exposed to more shearing effect.

DL650-092612.jpg

Last edited:
wow, surprisingly low Iron, nice report
the bmw has separate engine oil and trans?

TBN is pretty high for 10k miles... i would have guessed make oil added recently

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
TBN is pretty high for 10k miles... i would have guessed make oil added recently

If I'm not mistaken, oil capacity is around 4 qts which is decent size for a 1.2-liter engine, so that probably helps with TBN retention. But yeah, this engine must be really easy on oil.

To both the prior posts, yes the bike does seem to be very easy on oil.
None was added and the iron content was pretty low.

Air cooled motor does not share oil with trans. The trans gets 70-140 wt gear oil, it is like a tractor.

This same oil is used in the dirt bikes and others, it has always performed exceptionally and in the V_Strom there was a noticeable improvement over some other others just in the shifting.

With a gallon of sump capacity separate from the transmission and a cooler, these bikes are indeed easy on oil. Great report. Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Throt
You're nuts riding a motorcycle in those conditions!

But nice report.

Another score for Team Amsoil!

I am not nuts, my mother had me tested.
smile.gif

That aside I have had so much positive experience with this oil compared to the other high end brands it is the only thing I run these days in all my equipment.

Amsoil motorcycle oils are very impressive, if you check out their 40 and 50 weight cycle oil study, you will know what i mean. Their 10w40 MCF oil will be going into my 05 suzuki sv650, which i purchased off a buddy of mine.

NICE report, that oil can go for quite a bit longer.

I'm very impressed it didn't need the oil topped up in all that time. There are a couple of R1200's of that vintage in my riding group, and they use a bit between changes.

i think you need to prove the oil was actually used in a motor and not just poured out of a new bottle.

holy syrup batman!

susvis of 102.0 !!! its closer to 60wt than the low end of 50wt.

ah lane splitting in LA. how i used to enjoy that and also scare the [censored] out of me at the same time.
more so on those fog days.

no reason to change what you are doing...ever!

It is in the upper limit of a 50 wt. oil. It has extremely good viscosity/shear stability, excellent oxidation resistance, it has a high 11.1 TBN. Their motorcycle oils are more impressive than their Signature Series auto oils, IMO.

I tried (what is in the bike now) some royal purple since I was curious if there would be any noticeable difference. Motor make a little more noise at idle. Dont think I will run this one for 10K miles just too much of an unknown for me.

I might do another analysis of that oil as well just for grins but will stick with the Ams Oil I used in the first case, have 3 more gallons sitting at home on the shelf.

I missed the 102 sus, its seems to be thickening with heat instead of thinning.

Hopefully that's a mis print, or else you are seeing a thickening issue, with long runs.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy

Hopefully that's a mis print, or else you are seeing a thickening issue, with long runs.

Oil starts at 20.1. Is at 20.8......10K miles.

No problem here.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy

Oil starts at 20.1. Is at 20.8......10K miles.

No problem here.

I have no complaints what so ever, this report combined with the oils performance in another bike that actually shared it with the transmission so there was a lot more shearing forced being applied to the oil makes it a no brainer. Pretty much all I run in all of my bikes. The Royal Purple I am running right now is more of an experiment and honestly based on how it seems to be a bit nosier than the Ams Oil I dont think I will run this 10K. Probably change it at 5 and got back to my staple choice of the AO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back