Today's DI/Turbo engines now more reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am wondering if today's current 2015 Direct Injection/Turbo engines are more reliable now
than in the past? If one is a average, conservative driving and DO NOT drive like you stole
it, can these engines get 150,000 miles with the original turbo?
What about today's engines that are BOTH DI and Turbo?

I am particularly speaking of the 2015 VW GOLF TSI 1.8T. I love the test drive and the refined quality interior, but still a bit nervous with VW's past reliability and the
robustness of today's modern turbos.

In other words, is the purchase worth the risk of a 10+ year period of ownership compared
to a 2015 Honda Civic?
Or has VW reliabilty been a bit over exaggerated from internet rumors?

Last edited:
There a few guys on the Hyundai forums pushing 100K plus on their Sonata turbo models (2011+) (DI & Turbo). Some even use conventional oil, I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you take care of the car.

I have an older turbo (2005 Subaru Legacy GT) and run conventional with OCI of 4000 miles since new. It still has the OEM turbo at 180k and when inspected during some other major work the turbo was in incredible shape for 9yrs/171k surprising the mechanic.

There are only a few turbo makers out there and if design of oil feed is okay and owner keeps oil topped/changed properly they last.

The life of turbo IMHO has no bearing on DI or not as it simply force feeds air into motor.

I have never known turbo's themselves to be unreliable but more unreliable owners.....I guess in 1980's and prior they did not have water cooling which led to early demise?

98% of problems come from idiots that never change their oil or turn off a car when the turbo is practically glowing hot. If you do what you're supposed to, any problems you might come across should be cheap to fix.

Also help turbo longevity greatly if you drive thinking about the turbo itself. Synthetic oil so it doesn't coke up, drive softly and let idle for a minute before parking. That way it's cooled down and spooled down

Originally Posted By: horse123
.... or turn off a car when the turbo is practically glowing hot.

This has been addressed with modern design in last 10-20 years allowing the flow of coolant via thermodynamics when key is turned off until it is cooled. Case in point my wife never cares about how she drove her car before turning it off yet it has lasted.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/...n-engines-.html

Ford has been pushing its EcoBoost engines as a way of improving fuel economy without sacrificing performance. The real-world results of this strategy may be mixed, but one thing is not: all of these powerplants feature direct injection as well as turbochargers and advanced control software.

These engines have been on the market for a number of years now and to get some empirical evidence from the front lines about how they’re holding up we reached out to Brian Laskowski, a Ford Factory Certified Technician. He also has a YouTube channel, FordTechMakuloco that highlights all sorts of automotive repairs.

Responding via e-mail Laskowski said, “Carbon deposits in Ford engines are not a widespread issue due to the advanced engine technology.” But he also mentioned that it has happened in some low-mileage EcoBoost units.

“As of today the issue seems to be isolated to certain markets with varying factors such as fuel quality,” said Laskowski. If carbon buildup becomes severe he said it can result in all kinds of issues from drivability woes to misfires, turbocharger issues and even catalytic converter damage.

Survey Says…

Assuaging potential sky-is-falling fears, Michael Karesh, the developer of TrueDelta.com said carbon buildup is “not an issue for all direct-injected engines” based on the data he collects. His website surveys the owners of around 33,000 different vehicles to acquire relevant and timely data about vehicle reliability and fuel economy among other things.

But of course there are some instances of deposit-related issues that have popped up. Karesh said, “The only engines it’s reported quite a bit is [with] the VW/Audi 2.0T and then the Audi V6s.” He also said, “I know there are some BMWs that end up with carbon buildup as well.”

As for the frequency of reported problems with these Volkswagen cars he said his numbers indicate “it can be as high as one in six over the last two years,” which “is a high number” and one that he said is consistent across different models.

Originally Posted By: flinter
I am particularly speaking of the 2015 VW GOLF TSI 1.8T.

There are two versions of this engine, and sadly the US gets the one that does not have the secondary port fuel injection, like in Europe. This secondary injection was added by VW to meet the new stringent emissions requirements in Europe, but as a side benefit it helps minimize DI valve deposits. Similar concept to what Toyota has been doing on their DI engines for years.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Ford has been pushing its EcoBoost engines as a way of improving fuel economy without sacrificing performance. The real-world results of this strategy may be mixed, but one thing is not: all of these powerplants feature direct injection as well as turbochargers and advanced control software.

These engines have been on the market for a number of years now and to get some empirical evidence from the front lines about how they’re holding up we reached out to Brian Laskowski, a Ford Factory Certified Technician. He also has a YouTube channel, FordTechMakuloco that highlights all sorts of automotive repairs.

Responding via e-mail Laskowski said, “Carbon deposits in Ford engines are not a widespread issue due to the advanced engine technology.” But he also mentioned that it has happened in some low-mileage EcoBoost units.

“As of today the issue seems to be isolated to certain markets with varying factors such as fuel quality,” said Laskowski. If carbon buildup becomes severe he said it can result in all kinds of issues from drivability woes to misfires, turbocharger issues and even catalytic converter damage.

Survey Says…

Assuaging potential sky-is-falling fears, Michael Karesh, the developer of TrueDelta.com said carbon buildup is “not an issue for all direct-injected engines” based on the data he collects. His website surveys the owners of around 33,000 different vehicles to acquire relevant and timely data about vehicle reliability and fuel economy among other things.

But of course there are some instances of deposit-related issues that have popped up. Karesh said, “The only engines it’s reported quite a bit is [with] the VW/Audi 2.0T and then the Audi V6s.” He also said, “I know there are some BMWs that end up with carbon buildup as well.”

As for the frequency of reported problems with these Volkswagen cars he said his numbers indicate “it can be as high as one in six over the last two years,” which “is a high number” and one that he said is consistent across different models.

Oh, let me just go ahead and ask an employee who's being paid to say good things about the company what he thinks of the vehicles! That's totally not biased!

Originally Posted By: wemay

Survey Says…

Oh, let me just go ahead and ask an employee who's being paid to say good things about the company what he thinks of the vehicles! That's totally not biased!

The Ford guy not withstanding... there is more to the article than that.

Last edited:
I had a turbo back in the '90s, the old Chrysler 2.2 Turbo. I think I got about 150k out of it before one day I drove it, parked it at work and when I left, the engine ran really rough, turned out it was a blown head gasket. That was pretty much the end of the car at the time. To be fair, that was the 3rd engine in the car, I got it at about 100k when the engine had already been replaced, then it went again at around 120k (bearings in the crankshaft) and I found a used engine someone had rebuilt and that one died at 150k.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
There a few guys on the Hyundai forums pushing 100K plus on their Sonata turbo models (2011+) (DI & Turbo). Some even use conventional oil, I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you take care of the car.

Yup, no large scale issues of note...even though many are using conventional oil.

98% of problems come from idiots that never change their oil or turn off a car when the turbo is practically glowing hot. If you do what you're supposed to, any problems you might come across should be cheap to fix.

I suppose the "glowing hot" thing might apply if they are running 4000 RPM and reach over and shut the engine off. Just getting off the highway, traveling a short distance down a street, then parking, the turbo has cooled considerably. Enough air, oil, and coolant (on the newer VG turbos) has flowed thru to relieve heat stress. I rarely do any extended cool down procedure expept on the hottest days, after working the motor very hard. And I run turbo blankets on all my turbos as well! I have only lost one turbo in over 5 million miles.

Hi,

I am wondering if today's current 2015 Direct Injection/Turbo engines are more reliable now
than in the past? If one is a average, conservative driving and DO NOT drive like you stole
it, can these engines get 150,000 miles with the original turbo?
What about today's engines that are BOTH DI and Turbo?

I am particularly speaking of the 2015 VW GOLF TSI 1.8T. I love the test drive and the refined quality interior, but still a bit nervous with VW's past reliability and the
robustness of today's modern turbos.

In other words, is the purchase worth the risk of a 10+ year period of ownership compared
to a 2015 Honda Civic?
Or has VW reliabilty been a bit over exaggerated from internet rumors?

I would imagine with today's tech that the turbo / di issues should be fading. I can tell you that the VW 1.8 TSI is a hoot! Gobs of low end torque and very smooth revving / idle. Hope they have long term reliability

Ok, so what about the so called carbon build up issue on the new
VW 1.8T TSI engine?? Will this engine be prone to this and what
what mileage is a carbon cleaning recommended?

Or, do you do a carbon cleaning ONLY if you are having drivability
problems or do it at a certain mileage interval, say 60K, as preventative maintenance??

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Also help turbo longevity greatly if you drive thinking about the turbo itself. Synthetic oil so it doesn't coke up, drive softly and let idle for a minute before parking. That way it's cooled down and spooled down
How mwny people who buy them plan to drive like an old lady? Perhaps Ford's ECO program will bring greater acceptance in th enon performance market.

Or, do you do a carbon cleaning ONLY if you are having drivability
problems or do it at a certain mileage interval, say 60K, as preventative maintenance??

You typically do it when you start having drivability issues or fault codes popping up making your check engine light come on.

This engine is too new to tell how it'll fare when it comes to DI deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back