Recommendations For A Good Easy On / Off Wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a long time since I bought car wax. The last time was when I purchased a bottle of Wax Shop Super Glaze which has now been discontinued. It worked good, but was a very thin liquid wax.

I was wondering if there is something better on the market. I get nothing but confused at all of the waxes that are currently out there. And there seems to be more every week. Meguire's alone has over a dozen products. I'm looking for something that applies and removes easily, in a single step application. I'm going to be doing my full size truck which has a Leer camper shell, along with my new Jeep Grand Cherokee when we purchase it later this month. So with 2 large size vehicles ahead of me to wax, I want a product that I don't have to struggle with. I was hoping you guys could steer me to or away from some waxes you've used. I hate to just take a chance, or go by the advice of the kid at the local auto parts store.

If you watch any of these car shows on TV, every product they test is the best they've ever tried. I have to admit, I rarely see people waxing their cars any more. Back in the 60's it seemed there was someone out in their driveway every Saturday or Sunday doing it if the weather was nice.

I've been using the Meguiars/3M "Tech Wax" variations for some time now and like it quite a bit. My pal who gave me the 'word' on this years ago has moved on to "Ice"=maybe a Turtle Wax product?-that he says is even better.(Of course these aren't really 'waxes' anymore). He's kind of a 'detail' type, so his recommendations are pretty good-(even if he won't listen to me about changing his oil a little more often!)

Meguiars Ultimate paste is good can't speak for the liquid as iv never used it but the paste is good. Goes on nice and easy. Thin layer that wipes off as long as you don't put it on heavy lasts 3-4 months.

Megs nxt 2.0 is VERY easy on and off. Their ultimate paste wax is ok too but I found the liquid version rather finicky. Bought a bottle of griots garage aio last year and its very easy also.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I use NuFinish with good results and have used it for 20 years. Reasonably easy to use and very good durability. Ed

consumer reports testing rates nufinsh in the top 3 usually

Heck. Lately I've been leaning on the wax contained in the Duragloss rinseless car wash (I missed my late fall paste wax). Can't get any easier than that. I hear nothing but good things about the Optimum spray wax.

Over the counter, I would go with Meg's Ultimate, although I agree with the poster who said that the liquid is "finicky" the hobbyists at Autogeek are convinced that the NXT product is merely the last generation Megs product left on the market to mop up the residual brand loyalty. I wouldn't know about that.

Heck. Lately I've been leaning on the wax contained in the Duragloss rinseless car wash (I missed my late fall paste wax). Can't get any easier than that. I hear nothing but good things about the Optimum spray wax.

Over the counter, I would go with Meg's Ultimate, although I agree with the poster who said that the liquid is "finicky" the hobbyists at Autogeek are convinced that the NXT product is merely the last generation Megs product left on the market to mop up the residual brand loyalty. I wouldn't know about that.

I used Meguires Ultimate late last Summer and it took a beating all Winter.

It was super easy to apply, just don't get it on plastic pieces (trim, cowling, etc).

I really love the stuff it is going on again early Summer.

The Turtle Wax Ice works good for me. No white residue, easy on and off and won't stain vinyl and rubber trim.

Turtle Wax Ice Liquid is my new favorite. Easy on easy off, and wow does it make the paint pop!

Probably the two easy on/off I've used:

Surf City Garage "Barrier Reef" paste in a can
and Meguiar's NXT 2.0

Collinite 845

Get it hot and runny, apply with an applicator pad. When its slightly hazy but not dry, buff it off.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I have to admit, I rarely see people waxing their cars any more. Back in the 60's it seemed there was someone out in their driveway every Saturday or Sunday doing it if the weather was nice.

Too many owners just go to the car wash places like Delta Sonic now days. Wash, wax and away you go! Instant gratification is the new way.
frown.gif

I for one still enjoy washing and waxing my own. I even ran a hot water hose bib out next to the cold water one and use a Y connector to the hose so I can wash in cooler temps. Comes in handy to give our dog a washing ( warm weather only!)

I'm no wax expert, but from what I've learned from detailers I know, wax only lasts a few days in extreme heat, such as Arizona. The heat cooks it right off. Add in rain and other elements and you get the idea. I switched to Croftgate Quick 'n Slick.

It's a polymer polish that replaces wax. It's easy to apply (like quick detailing). Over a 24 hour period it bonds with the clear coat. It last for several weeks if not months. I use it roughly 4-5 times a year and the 32oz bottle lasts that whole year. It keeps the paint surface glossy and slick. Clay bar every 6 months as well.

http://www.croftgateusa.com/buy-croftgateusa-products/quick-n-slick

Last edited:
Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax seems to be pretty easy to use. I've used it a few times with the Firebird and it doesn't bead extremely long, but it does go on easily and it comes off easily as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back