Tire Gauge Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the best tire gauge in terms of accuracy, durability, and flexibility (in the chuck swivel, pressure units displayed, connection types, high pressures, etc.).
I prefer kPa over PSI, and digital over analog, hose type over single-piece unit, with bleed valve, high-pressure support; 360-degree swivels on the chuck and meter; replaceable hose connector; backlit display; with bike, large vehicle, and car valves. There's plenty of PSI only analog gauges--I'd prefer accuracy over a digital display (although a digital display measuring to the first decimal place in tenths of units would be fine). YouTuber redonKiLaus says Joes Racing has good products--the Amazon reviews support that evaluation.

I use this.

I checked it with a calibrated gauge at the local airport service depot and it's about one half a psi off at 40 psi but it repeats, time after time at exactly the same reading after being reset to zero. At 20 and 30 psi it's right on and at 80 psi it's still just about half a psi off. For me that's close enough. After a year I rechecked it and it's exactly the same.

You fill and check in one operation. It's quick and easy. It locks onto and releases from the valve stem with no loss of air.

Accurite from amazon, works fairly accurately, whatever those automated air pressure machines yield and firestone tire pressure checks, always come out to the same reading that accurite provides for all my tires.

My wife bought me a tire gauge that talks. At first I laughed at it thinking it was a gag gift, but it works. I've used it on my truck, bike, lawn equipment and bicycle. It reads the pressure, then a woman's voice announces what the pressure is.It will tell you 1/2 lb readings also. Comes in handy if your in a dark area like the garage and can't really see the gauge. Reads KPA or psi. Anything else is so 1975.,,,,

Keep in mind that the most accurate analog gauge is one where the max PSI is not much over what you intend to measure. So a gauge with a max of 50 PSI would be more accurate for a car at 32 PSI than a gauge with a max of 100 PSI.

I am not sure a gauge needs to be super accurate as the tire pressure in a tire does vary with temp. Today it may start out at 25F and go to 60F.

I like my Craftsman digital gauge, but the batteries are expensive.

I recently picked up 4 Milton s921 gauges, one for each vehicle. 2 were accurate, 1 showed 3 pounds low and 1 showed 6 pounds low.
I use a digital gauge on instead of a regular air chuck on the compressor hose and it seems to be pretty accurate.

I marked the two faulty Milton gauges and put them in the two vehicles I usually drive. Since I know how inaccurate they are I can just compensate whenever I use them.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I recently picked up 4 Milton s921 gauges, one for each vehicle. 2 were accurate, 1 showed 3 pounds low and 1 showed 6 pounds low.
I use a digital gauge on instead of a regular air chuck on the compressor hose and it seems to be pretty accurate.

I marked the two faulty Milton gauges and put them in the two vehicles I usually drive. Since I know how inaccurate they are I can just compensate whenever I use them.

Sounds like you buy 10, find the one or two very accurate ones and return 8.

Blue point tpgdl1000b, look it up. Its an inflater, but the gauge is digital,large, back light, accurate to 1/10 psi, has kpa, has a serviceable valve and hose whip with deflator, has swivels on the chuck and head unit, and comes with a dual foot and clip on chuck.

The downside is that you pay for it, at $120

Originally Posted By: Donald
Keep in mind that the most accurate analog gauge is one where the max PSI is not much over what you intend to measure. So a gauge with a max of 50 PSI would be more accurate for a car at 32 PSI than a gauge with a max of 100 PSI.

Agree.
My gauges are 50 PSI max. Never intend to inflate any tire much above 40 PSI, no need for 100 PSI max.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Donald

Agree.
My gauges are 50 PSI max. Never intend to inflate any tire much above 40 PSI, no need for 100 PSI max.

So what do you do if you have one of those mini spares that should be inflated to 60 PSI ? Have a separate gauge to check it ?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Wow, a US made tool with 50% accuracy; where are the complainers hiding?

What was the calibration basis and which are inaccurate versus the precision of the gauges as a lot?

At least they weren't dumped from the third world. No excuse, but then again, you're buying a mechanical gauge with no calibration or traceability.

There's also an assumption that the digital gauge was accurate.

I have never been able to actually find a tolerance for automotive pressure gauges. For aircraft the specification for a tire or strut pressure gauge is class A (1% of full scale from 25% to 75% of Full scale, 2% of full scale for the first 25% and last 25% of the scale).

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
This thread may be of interest

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3035864

And in relation to that, the gauge has been flawless (as expected).
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
So what do you do if you have one of those mini spares that should be inflated to 60 PSI ? Have a separate gauge to check it ?

I had my cars at America's Tire for rotation, at that time I asked for checking compact spare pressure and inflate it to max 60 PSI.

Since spare is rarely used, never used spare on my S2000, E430 and V70. Used spare twice on LS400 in 21 years I owned it. I like to inflate compact spare to max on sidewall, so that if I forgot to check(at A/T) for few years it still has more than 35-40 PSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back