Recommended ATF change for "Sealed 4 Life" tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
When do you guys recommend to change the ATF fluid on sealed for life transmissions?

I really hate that I have to drop the pan
mad.gif

Please describe the vehicle, current mileage, your driving style, cargo/towing, and how long you plan to keep it.

Mazda 3 2014, highway 70% & 30% city, keeping it at least 100K, extreme cold weathers.

Currently 10K

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie
When do you guys recommend to change the ATF fluid on sealed for life transmissions?

I really hate that I have to drop the pan
mad.gif

On my Charger with a sealed unit I changed it at 60k, on my mom's CX-5 which is also sealed I plan on doing it somewhere between 50-75k.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Use OEM fluid since you will probably only change the fluid twice during the life of the cat.

In the case of my Subaru's "Sealed for life" CVT, the OEM fluid is only available in 5 gallon buckets. A drain and fill is about 6 quarts.

Subaru has since backed off on their insistance that the fluid never be changed. (Originally, dealers were refusing to service the trannies........Then, in light of experience, including failures, Subaru changed the story).

I changed mine at 60k, 75k, and I will do it one more time early at 90k, then revert to 30k drain and fills....Which is what I would do if I could do it over, starting at 30k. Subaru was so insistent that it NOT be changed that originally, I thought I would start at 100k.

Repeat after me.......There is no such thing as "Lifetime fluid" or "Sealed units"!

The Mazda low visc FZ blue ATF doesn't have too many substitutes now. If yours is blue, install a real ATF filter...Magnefine/PermwCool/Racor and use that blue ATF for 60k.

If not FZ blue, service it every 30k.

1 full flush if possible at 30k then D&F every 30k thereafter.

Getting the breaking stuff out is key, but afterward there will be very little and it's a sealed unit with a locked TC above a human's running speed so minimal heat generation when driving.

Anything can happen in the future. Best to give it some maintenance just in case you keep it 200k or 300k.

No automakers have defined "lifetime" yet. They don't have the balls to give it a mileage or hour number. But, I bet it'll last a little longer than the warranty or car payment interval.

Until the automaker tells you what that word 'lifetime' means, take care of it. http://www.ssa.gov/planners/lifeexpectancy.html

Absolutely change it. I changed the CVT fluid last weekend on my daughter's 2011 Dodge Caliber with 60,913 miles. I used an oil extractor since it's "supposed" to be sealed and doesn't have a drain plug. This method extracted only 2 quarts so I did it four times. I got most of the old fluid out since the total capacity is 8.6 quarts.

The service manual says Mopar CVTF +4 is green when new but it was dark brown coming out. The Valvoline Full Synthetic CVTF I replaced it with is a light amber color like engine oil.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Use OEM fluid since you will probably only change the fluid twice during the life of the cat.

In the case of my Subaru's "Sealed for life" CVT, the OEM fluid is only available in 5 gallon buckets. A drain and fill is about 6 quarts.

Subaru has since backed off on their insistance that the fluid never be changed. (Originally, dealers were refusing to service the trannies........Then, in light of experience, including failures, Subaru changed the story).

I changed mine at 60k, 75k, and I will do it one more time early at 90k, then revert to 30k drain and fills....Which is what I would do if I could do it over, starting at 30k. Subaru was so insistent that it NOT be changed that originally, I thought I would start at 100k.

Repeat after me.......There is no such thing as "Lifetime fluid" or "Sealed units"!

Amsoil lists CVT transmission fluid for the Subaru. So with a CVT you still only get a partical change by dropping the pan? Is there still a torque converter? I do not know a lot about CVT transmissions except I have one in my 2015 Forester.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Yeah, that Subaru fluid only available in a bucket is a waste unless you're servicing multiple cars. You don't need that much for one car 'cause then you have all that remaining opened fluid sitting around for the next 3, 4, 5+ years? It still may be good but I'd rather fluids from a sealed container.

I had my Subaru CVTF changed at 10K at the dealership and you wouldn't believe how much metal shavings were in the strainer and on the magnet. I changed it myself about 5K miles ago using about 18 quarts of Valvoline Full Synthetic CVTF. I didn't remove the pan though.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Amsoil lists CVT transmission fluid for the Subaru. So with a CVT you still only get a partical change by dropping the pan? Is there still a torque converter? I do not know a lot about CVT transmissions except I have one in my 2015 Forester.

Yes, it's a partial change. There's a bowl shaped part inside that probably hold a quart and there is a torque converter. There are a few aftermarket fluid choices that will work. I have Valvoline and other user, IveBeenRuled, has Amsoil in his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back