New Ford Everest in Oz Showrooms soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Designed in Oz, but being built in Thailand (heard on the radio yesterday), or China (last year's new reports), the Ford Everest is due in showrooms soon.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/335537/2015-ford-everest-spied-off-road-in-readiness-for-production/

Ladder Chassis, solid rear axle (coils and a Watt's Linkage), 240V inverter power in the back seat.

Engines 2.0 Ecoboost, 2.2 Turbodiesel, and the (quite popular in Oz Fords and Mazdas) 3.2L 5 cylinder turbodiesel.

$45k...that's $3k more than I paid for my Nissan ute in 2003.

Looks OK. So, do you not have a version of the US Expedition or Explorer? Looks similar in size to our Explorer (maybe smaller), but body-on-frame. So, like our 1st and 2nd gen Explorers --which were based off Ranger platform?

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Looks OK. So, do you not have a version of the US Expedition or Explorer? Looks similar in size to our Explorer (maybe smaller), but body-on-frame. So, like our 1st and 2nd gen Explorers --which were based off Ranger platform?

They have something called a Territory that fills the Explorer spot. The Territory is going away with the end of Falcon production, so the Everest will take its place. Ford did sell the Explorer in Australia in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but when the truck based SUV craze began cooling off, they pulled it from that market and only offered the Territory for a midsize.

The Everest is the Explorer-sized SUV offering Ford has in places where there is a significant market for an off road capable SUV...the US isn't one of those places unfortunately.

If the majority of the American driving public wasn't so stupid, we'd get those cool diesels too.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
If the majority of the American driving public wasn't so stupid, we'd get those cool diesels too.

What's a diesel? Is that like a hybrid?

All that's really important is that a car can sync to your phone!

/sarcasm

I actually saw a CR article online that was something along the lines of "5 features to get, 5 to avoid on new cars." Their examples of must have features were junk like touchscreens, lane departure warnings, etc. The "features to avoid" were things like "iPod adapter, because there are better ways to sync." The idea that someone would need help deciding which features to pick over others is troubling enough, let alone what CR actually put on their list. I bet a CR review of the Everest would go something like "gas guzzling brutish vehicle drives like a pickup truck, confusing 4WD

The car is no longer for the enthusiast. It has been fully become a commodity, at least in the US.

I saw an older one in the Bahamas that resembled a Mercedes G wagon. This new one looks like a new Escape/ Edge. Ehhh.

It's too ugly for a solid rear end IMO. I'm surprised it'll have one.

Nice, having a diesel option.

In the US we're protected from having most diesel options. The one exception is a neighbor that has a Ford crew cab with a long bed, 4x4 and duals. He needs the extra torque because when he goes grocery shopping he sometimes has several bags completely full and a case or two of beer to say nothing of a bag of charcoal and some bottled water. The extra torque comes in handy when pulling out into traffic.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
What's the 240 volts about. Is that what your grid is.

Yes.

Really looking forward to the Everest. The Ranger is a pretty decent platform, so it starts from a good base.

I remember seeing new Ford Everest's in Thailand and Cambodia about five years ago. I liked the look of the Everest more than the Explorer at the time.

From the looks of the newest Everest model, I think I the 2010 model is more attractive. To each his own though.

Speaking of utes in other countries...

My wife's family in Asia has a 2009 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab truck with a 2.5 liter common-rail diesel. Very cool truck, and gets 24 mpg in HORRIFIC city traffic with A/C blasting ice cold goodness. And, 31 mpg's with eight passengers (5 in cab, 3 in the bed) on long road trips. That includes up mountain roads and some offroading to get to waterfalls. Tons of torque from such a small engine in a truck the size of a Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: 3for3

Speaking of utes in other countries...

My wife's family in Asia has a 2009 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab truck with a 2.5 liter common-rail diesel. Very cool truck, and gets 24 mpg in HORRIFIC city traffic with A/C blasting ice cold goodness. And, 31 mpg's with eight passengers (5 in cab, 3 in the bed) on long road trips. That includes up mountain roads and some offroading to get to waterfalls. Tons of torque from such a small engine in a truck the size of a Tacoma.

Diesel dual cab utes are extremely popular in Oz too. Mitsubishi Triton, Toyota Hi Lux, Ford Ranger (and its badge engineered twin the Mazda BT50), VW Amarok, Nissan Navara, etc. are literally everywhere.

I wonder how the reception will be from Australians considering it will be built in Thailand or China. Seems a waste of production space at the soon to close Ford Falcon plant.

Sadly, most Australians couldn't care less where their vehicles are built, hence the death of our car industry. Fact is, Thai built vehicles = lower priced vehicles, and THAT is what matters. Fiesta already comes from Thailand, so do a lot of our Honda cars and bikes. There is no discernible difference in build quality as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back