Long vs short oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this the other day, too. It seems like it makes more sense to me to run a Mobil-1 (or RP, Amsoil) filter for 2 OCIs than a Wix for 1 OCI. The former will filter to a lower micron level for the entire life-cycle than the Wix ever will, and the cost is the same.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I was thinking about this the other day, too. It seems like it makes more sense to me to run a Mobil-1 (or RP, Amsoil) filter for 2 OCIs than a Wix for 1 OCI. The former will filter to a lower micron level for the entire life-cycle than the Wix ever will, and the cost is the same.

Sorry. I misread your post. Seems like you're referring to the physical size, not the length of OCI.

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen oversized filters for an application before the filter better and sometimes worse, assuming the data is accurate. All things considered, if going oversized, or undersized for that matter, make sure the decision is right for you. Filter manufacturers guarantee their filters based upon the application for which it was specified and the OEM specified viscosity.

If I buy oversized, it's because the regular one isn't available and I'm not going on a hunt, or it's cheaper than the regular one, along with the fact that I'm not using the "correct" viscosity anyhow, so it's not going to matter in the end.

I use an oversized filter on the Park Avenue ONLY because it makes it easier to reach. I am using a Fram Tough Guard, currently on its second OCI. Im running the filter for 2 OCI's.

One example of a longer filter is the Wix 51512/NG 1512.
It is one inch longer than the Wix 51516/NG 1516/Fram 3600 but is the same diameter, same gasket size, and threads.
It can be substituted if there's enough clearance. It has a silicone ADBV but no bypass valve, which is why I wouldn't consider using it on our Taurus'.

Using a filter with no internal bypass on an application that specifies one is a huge issue, you will most certainly collapse the media at some point.

As to the original question, no a larger filter doesn't filter better than a smaller one. Actually as you go up to a certain freakish size like a filter that holds two quarts of oil, the efficiency usually Decreases!

But as we talk about normal sized light duty filters, the efficiency is usually same. My car specifies a Fram XG3387A but I use the longer XG3800 size filters because I run 15,000 mile FCI and they cost the same. The specifications are exact, including thread size, gasket diameter and same bypass. (No internal filter bypass on either model)

The two most important things to match when over sizing is thread size and make sure they have a bypass if the oem filter specifies one. The bypass settings don't have to be exact, and the gasket usually has some room to be slightly smaller or larger but the thread size must be exact or you can blow off the filter.

Also it is OK to upgrade to a filter that has a bypass if your oem model does not have an internal bypass, it will be a fail safe if your integral block bypass fails.

You can and should call or e-mail the filter maker(like Baldwin) and they will tell you what a filter filters down to. I would never put a non-stock filter on my car not knowing what it filters down to and how many GPM it flows. I do run over size filters on all my cars and bikes(motorhome too) and the Baldwin's I use have done a great job. I run the Baldwin filter on my S2000 for 15k to 18k miles and my UOA's have been very good for that motor. My S2000 turns 8200 rpm and runs at 4k going down the freeway(75mph).

ROD

Originally Posted By: yankees1
Will a longer oil filter be more effective in filtering oil than a shorter one ?

Usually the advantages of a oversized oil filter are:

Longer OCI(holds more dirt)
less restrictive to oil flow throughout the filter(more square inch of media, goes into bypass less often)
system will hold more oil
cools the oil somewhat

but no a larger bigger filter will not necessarily be better at filtration.

In some ways a smaller filter is better, right up until it clogs & goes into bypass, then it's pretty worthless. The hard part is figuring out when exactly that happens.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
In some ways a smaller filter is better, right up until it clogs & goes into bypass, then it's pretty worthless. The hard part is figuring out when exactly that happens.

OCI
21.gif

Since my first car in 1969, I've never had an engine get dirty enough to go into bypass.

Take care of your engine with sensible OCIs and it won't ever see bypass.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Since my first car in 1969, I've never had an engine get dirty enough to go into bypass.

And how would you know? exactly.

Not quite. If very cold the oil could in reality create a by-bass event until the oil heats up.
It happens more often than you might think.

Some say your filter is in by-pass every time you start your car cold... cold oil is thick... but know one seems to really know.

And why would Fram test their by-pass valves over a million cycles if the valve "rarely..." opens...?

I have fiddled with some non-spec filters that matched my Jeep perfectly other than a much higher bypass. I experienced a good bit of after start clatter I hadn't before, and this was in relatively warm weather. I think they go into bypass at start up much more than you might expect.

A smaller body filter, may have more pleats and actual filter media, than a larger body one. So many people think that the engine responds to what you want. The fact is the engine responds to what it wants. An air filter comparison would make it easier to explain. If your engine needs 650 cfm of flow to feed itself, and the stock filter flows 650 cfm, going to a 750 cfm flowing filter will do nothing for power. The oil filter is no different. Only so much oil will enter and exit the filter. You would add more volume and a negligible cooling effect, but unless your clogging the filter more media will not filter a molecule better, only a thicker/finer media. If you look at a Class 8 truck engine, such as a CAT or Cummins, the Oil filter is much larger, however the inlet and outlet are much larger as well. Im willing to bet the correlation to that of a car filter is about the same amount of filter per oil flow.

Also said, many "oversize" filters do not carry an ADBV, which even on a "eye to the sky" mount will drain the filter of quite a bit of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back