V-twin sound dub over inline 4 (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: 29662
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
The Honda VTX is a 1800 cc V-twin. NOTHING sounds better then a V-Twin, that's why all the major manufacturers make them. In hopes they can out do Harley's sound. Over 110 years, they haven't done it yet.,,

Oops, you're right about the 1800 being a V-twin. I was thinking of the engine in the Goldwing.

As to outdoing Hardley's sound, thats very subjective. But that's okay because everyone surpasses them in terms of design, technology, and build quality. They don't call them the mistake from Milwaukee for nothing.

Here we go.
Such a big mistake.

I've never seen anyone with a Honda tattoo before,and I'm pretty sure Harley's build quality is no better or worse than any other bike manufacturer so get off your high horse.
You don't like Harley's. That's your prerogative. However you prove your character with what you post afterwards.
You ride alone because no one wants to ride with you. And in the lifestyle that's very sad.
Maybe a scooter crew will pick you up.

Actually Harley's build quality is perennially at or near the bottom. Don't believe me check the stats at Consumer reports. I was just responding to what BC had said. Previous to that I hadn't mentioned Harley. I don't ride alone unless I choose to. Your ad hominem attack is very childish. And If I were you I wouldn't brag about the HP your bike makes. It makes less HP than my bike despite the fact that your engine is more than twice the size and you probably spent several thousand on it. And I'll wager that my bike is still more reliable than a Harley any day of the week.

It's not my fault that Harley owners are a bunch of sycophants and demand that everyone bow down to their brand of choice. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

When I see the power Rangers in my mirrors I'll play with them a bit. They certainly aren't prepared for a harley to give them a run.
At 70mph on the open highway nothing beats the big cube twin. I write this having owned a 750 katana in my youth. Great bike but it's not my harley.

So anyone wearing full roadracing style leathers is a power ranger? Ok.

You're kidding yourself if you think there aren't much quicker and faster bikes than a big cube V-twin. Finally, while a decent bike, an air/oil cooled 750 Katana, was not a fast bike. Even when it was a current model.

NOTHING sounds better then a V-Twin, that's why all the major manufacturers make them.

If you like the sound of a V2 you're going to love the sound of a big bang V4 because its a pair V2s working in concert...

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
The Yamaha R1 (inline4) with crossplane crankshaft has kinda a V-twin sound.

Technically speaking Yamaha's Crossplane crank is brilliant but its sound has been coined
"virtual V4" by noted journalist Micheal Scott among others...

Quote Michael Scott
"The upgrade Yamaha had promised their new rider ran deep.
It was nothing more than a revival of the same sort of Big Bang
principal that had served Honda so well in 1992. In the modern
context, it turned an in-line engine into a virtual V4. Most
importantly, it made the bike more friendly to the rider, kinder to
the tyres and easier to ride to the limit."

Quote Bike magazine
"The R1 engines distinct sound is the obvious clue that it’s
something special - its akin to a V-Four with a deep, purposeful note
that seems a little bit angry. But its in the way the motor generates
power that sets it apart from its competition. Gone is the peaky
powerband of the previous motor, and in its place is the most
tractable four-cylinder literbike yet built.

Quote Mark Hoyer Editor in Chief Cycle World
Yamaha took a revolutionary engine concert-the cross plane crank-and
built a bike unlike any other, combining the character of a V4 with
that if a I4."

NOTHING sounds better then a V-Twin, that's why all the major manufacturers make them. In hopes they can out do Harley's sound. Over 110 years, they haven't done it yet.,,

What I can't figure out is how they get that obnoxiously 130 db loud sound out of an engine struggling to make 50 hp. Potato, potato.

All I learned from this thread is... it's time to get up from my desk and go for a ride. Later
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 02SE

When I see the power Rangers in my mirrors I'll play with them a bit. They certainly aren't prepared for a harley to give them a run.
At 70mph on the open highway nothing beats the big cube twin. I write this having owned a 750 katana in my youth. Great bike but it's not my harley.

You're kidding yourself if you think there aren't much quicker and faster bikes than a big cube V-twin. Finally, while a decent bike, an air/oil cooled 750 Katana, was not a fast bike. Even when it was a current model.

Where exactly did I say anything of the sort. Go back. Read my posts. Then comment.
The only reason I even mentioned the katana was to show I've ridden and ow Ned sport bikes. I don't care how fast or slow the bike itself was. It wasn't comfortable.
My harley is comfortable. I've run 1000 mile days on that bike.
As far as power goes I don't give a rat turd how fast or slow a bike is. I care about comfort at speed.

As far as power rangers go if the shoe fits. Not all sport bike riders are power rangers. I ride with a few guys on their r1's. One of them has a 1400cc sport bike. I forget the manufacturer however.
It's all besides the point anyway. No where did I even imply that v twins are the best engine out there. In fact if you opened your eyes you'd see I posted the opposite.
Which ranger are you. I'm guessing pink.

Originally Posted By: KernelK
NOTHING sounds better then a V-Twin, that's why all the major manufacturers make them. In hopes they can out do Harley's sound. Over 110 years, they haven't done it yet.,,

What I can't figure out is how they get that obnoxiously 130 db loud sound out of an engine struggling to make 50 hp. Potato, potato.

Crank firing degree ingerval, single crosspin, large displacement, long stroke, low compression, and air cooling make for a loud harley engine. There are pleny of low power engines out there that if you throw straight pipes on them are loud.

Where exactly did I say anything of the sort. Go back. Read my posts. Then comment.

It sure sounded that way with this comment:

At 70mph on the open highway nothing beats the big cube twin.

At any rate, I got a good laugh out of that comment. I'd be willing to bet they are just riding along, minding their own business, completely oblivious that you are twisting the throttle of your 'built' bike, wringing every last bit of power out of it, to "give them a run".

I can picture you at the next bar stop, regaling anyone that will stand still, how you blew away a bunch of Sportbikes on the highway.

Meanwhile, if you asked the Sportbike riders about the "run", they would say: "He was racing?, we just thought it was some guy trying to maintain speed on the Highway"..

grin.gif

Power Rangers say "come here big cube harley... I won't hurt you... he he he..."

292808033_25d352f335.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: KernelK

Crank firing degree ingerval, single crosspin, large displacement, long stroke, low compression, and air cooling make for a loud harley engine. There are pleny of low power engines out there that if you throw straight pipes on them are loud.
+1. The Autobahn Politzie have their choice. Howley is not one of them.

It sure sounded that way with this comment:

At 70mph on the open highway nothing beats the big cube twin.

At any rate, I got a good laugh out of that comment. I'd be willing to bet they are just riding along, minding their own business, completely oblivious that you are twisting the throttle of your 'built' bike, wringing every last bit of power out of it, to "give them a run".

I can picture you at the next bar stop, regaling anyone that will stand still, how you blew away a bunch of Sportbikes on the highway.

Meanwhile, if you asked the Sportbike riders about the "run", they would say: "He was racing?, we just thought it was some guy trying to maintain speed on the Highway"..

grin.gif

ROFLMAO. There was a big 40's era bridge near me with a steel grating at the top. It was fun to see the pony tail set in my mirrors put both feet down in panic when they hit it. Didn't bother the BM at all.

The Honda VTX is a 1800 cc V-twin. NOTHING sounds better then a V-Twin, that's why all the major manufacturers make them. In hopes they can out do Harley's sound. Over 110 years, they haven't done it yet.,,

Actually the VTX1800 sounds like [censored], due to the offset crank pins, best to keep the stock exhaust on it. The motor makes decent stock power for what it is (around 90HP at the rear wheel and 100'# torque @ 3000 RPM), but Honda in the pursuit of smoothness used a crank with offset pins.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Power Rangers say "come here big cube harley... I won't hurt you... he he he..."

292808033_25d352f335.jpg

"Power Rangers" have a hard time getting parts for their rockets as they get older since the factory support drops off the cliff at some point. Which is sad as Mr. Honda did not want it that way. Where as "the company" and the aftermarket has made it so that you can keep their bikes going until the rapture. One of the things keeping me from getting a vintage Honda I like is the lack of parts.

If you look hard and long enough you can sorse pretty much any part for any bike. Might not be NOS, or in good condition, but you can get one. One big problem with Japanese bikes is they don't have long product runs. A few years and there history. Once the factory drops them from the lineup,the buying public moves on to the next great thing they're selling.Years back inline 4 were the hot thing. It would be a hard argument to make that people don't want V-Twins. Just about every bike maker has at least 1 V-twin, in hopes it will convert Harley buyers to buy their offering. That V-twin sound is why. People don't want a smooth as glass motor that makes you feel like your riding a vacuum cleaner or a washing machine with that buzz or hum. The guys that want to only go fast buy the inline 4's. When they race by you at 100+ MPH people go who was that?, When you cruise by on a Harley they know what type of bike it is. Even a blind guy can tell it's a Harley. For some reason having a bike that sounds like a weed wacker never caught on.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back