How to get correct TORQUE in tight SPOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of info needed on getting the right torque by accommodating for extensions on the socket.

Situation:

Reinstalling fill plug to 36 ft/lbs on the side of the U760E 6 Speed At in the 2013 Camry SE. It's a tight spot and even with the wheel off it isn't enough room to maneuver a torque wrench. So extension are needed.

How do I actually account for this and get to 36 ft/lbs?

Or do I get a Harbor Freight electronic adaptor for a smaller wrench and HOPE that 36 ft/lbs isn't at the lower end (which I think it IS) of the torque electronic adaptor's scale, and thus the least accurate portion of the electronic torque adaptor functionality.

IMG_1582_zpsfcf513b9.jpg

IMG_1569_zpsb0d36568.jpg

While I admire you wanting to get everything to the proper torque spec, you really don't need it for a fill plug. It's not a torque sensitive application like an axle nut or gaskets. Feel it out
smile.gif

By theory you can use as many extensions as you want and it will make no difference in the torque achieved. They all wind up together and deliver it to the fastener in question.

Smoky

I had a similar issue trying to torque the central through bolt of an engine mount in my Accord. An AC hose, exhaust manifold and the front of the tranny were in the way and only a regular wrench could barely squeeze in there. The bolt spec was 60-something ft-lbs, so I just tightened it as much as I could with the reg wrench and called it a day.

In your case, 36 ft-lbs is a little more snug than most oil drain plugs. Just tighten it by feel, check for any leaks and call it a day.

Last edited:
If a fella isn't too experienced yet, it's not a bad idea to learn that 'feel' with the torque wrench first-then the experience can take over.

It looks like you could remove the tire and get better access with a shorter extension.

Another trick if you are of the OCD persuasion: before you remove a nut or plug, knock a small mark in the nut/plug and a corresponding one in the tranny case with a hammer and center punch. Then, just retighten until the marks line up. This assumes that it was correctly tightened to start with.

I would do it by feel, like suggested above.

Unless it's not straight, such as a universal-joint extension bent at an angle, a rigid extension will not alter the torque. However, if the extension can flex or twist, it will alter the torque.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
if the extension can flex or twist, it will alter the torque.

That's not true when it comes to the operation of a torque wrench.

Twist of extensions just means more angular movement of the wrench will be required before desired torque is reached.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
if the extension can flex or twist, it will alter the torque.

That's not true when it comes to the operation of a torque wrench.

Twist of extensions just means more angular movement of the wrench will be required before desired torque is reached.

You're right. The internal forces of twisting or flexing should cancel out.

As long as the extension is straight, it should be OK. However, if the extension is at an angle or bent, the torque reading will be altered, as some of the torque will balance the force at the angle.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Okey, extensions don't affect torque then.

To elaborate on this in case it's not clear -- extensions that are perpendicular to the handle of the ratchet (axially aligned with the socket and bolt) will not affect the torque. The torque measurement comes from the distance from your hand (the application of force) to the pivot point, along the handle of the wrench which is delivering that force.

They do

Originally Posted By: CT8
They do

Please explain how extensions such as those shown in the OP's photos affect torque.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Please explain how extensions such as those shown in the OP's photos affect torque.

I think that if you consider the situation logically, turning that wrench with a 12 to 18 inch extension on it will impose forces that will affect the final torque value a small amount. You will have to support the wrench head with your hand so it doesn't twist excessively out of the 90 degree plane. It will be difficult to apply a smooth, even pull that keeps everything aligned that is necessary for proper torque.

By the book, yes, extensions don't affect the torque value. But we all know that you can't just turn a ratchet normally when you have a very long extension on. The added twisting and misalignment of the forces will affect the torque value some.

As usual, Gokhan is on the mark.

Assuming that there is a straight line to the plug through the gap, then torque is torque.

If the bar was 100' long, then the angle from snug to torqued could be a full turn or more versus imperceptable at a few inches.

If it's not in line, then it's an approximation...close but.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back