Is PUP worth the $$$ for an old beater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about PUP for one OCI to see how it goes. I am happy with regular Platinum and was also happy with M1-HM. Heck, I was even happy with QS green bottle dino for a short interval.

I drive a 2000 Saturn SL1 with the SOHC. I don't drive it hard, I change oil around 6 months/5K miles. I am not rich. Given all that, it looks like I am not a candidate for PUP---but I am thinking about it. I can get a 5-quart jug at Amazon for $43.05. Pair that with a high-end filter, maybe M-1, and it's about $53-$54. Figuring I might extend to about 10 months/6K miles with that set-up....is there any chance it would be worth the money?

Anyone "waste" cash on this precious stuff for a beater DD?

This is something for you to decide. A beater in someone else's eye might be your favorite car.

There's a car in my signature that is my favorite and I don't skip on any maintenance. I'm the original owner and I plan to drive it to my funeral. A beater is in the eyes of the beholder.

To me PUP isn't worth it for any car, beater or not. M1, PP, QSUD, etc available for about $25 at Walmart is all a car needs, in my opinion.

I combine that with an extended drain and probably break even with a shorter drain of conventional (but with a slight benefit in cold weather).

Assuming your Saturn doesn't burn any oil (if so, I'd use the cheapest conventional), I would probably stick with PP or M1 you're presently using. I'd probably bump it out to a yearly OCI as well.

Yea but a lot of walmarts don't carry PU and won't do site to store for some reason.

Last edited:
All real Saturn engines use oil.
How much consumption do you see? You know where I'm going with this.
Also, the prices you're quoting are rip-off level.
Buy the oil and filter locally if you really want to try the pair and save a little coin to boot.
JMHO

How much make-up oil do you have to add during the oci? I know that those Saturns like to burn oil and like to sludge and timing chain issues.

In you case, I'd use the cheapest syn on sale for the 6m/5k.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
I am thinking about PUP for one OCI to see how it goes. I am happy with regular Platinum and was also happy with M1-HM. Heck, I was even happy with QS green bottle dino for a short interval.

I drive a 2000 Saturn SL1 with the SOHC. I don't drive it hard, I change oil around 6 months/5K miles. I am not rich. Given all that, it looks like I am not a candidate for PUP---but I am thinking about it. I can get a 5-quart jug at Amazon for $43.05. Pair that with a high-end filter, maybe M-1, and it's about $53-$54. Figuring I might extend to about 10 months/6K miles with that set-up....is there any chance it would be worth the money?

I've never wanted to waste like this. My old beater used to get PYB w/ 5K OCI.

No reason to use PUP, PP will be more then adequate for your vehicle.

If you want to save some money, you could go with something like ST Synthetic, or Pennzoil Gold Bottle. Both should go for 5k miles without issue, and neither one will allow anything to happen to your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
All real Saturn engines use oil.
How much consumption do you see? You know where I'm going with this.
Also, the prices you're quoting are rip-off level.
Buy the oil and filter locally if you really want to try the pair and save a little coin to boot.
JMHO

That's the thing. I cannot find PUP locally. (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area of NEPA.) I would even go to Walmart if I had to, but they don't carry it and supposedly cannot get it. So if I try Ultra I will need to buy it online as far as I know.

My car burns very little oil by Saturn standards. With PP or M1 it's just a few drops for the first 2,500 to 3,000 miles. With dino it's maybe a cup to a pint in that time. After 3-4K miles and 5-6 months it starts to burn a bit more; still not bad but enough of a difference to notice. Thus my short OCI even with syn.

Yes, it's too much money. Maybe just once, to see what happens.

I live in Berks County Pa. Try the Ephrata Wal Mart if your near Scranton. They carry PUP in multiple weight selections. If I were you I would just run the QSUD and call it a day -- bang for the buck right there!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an SL2 for a while and used used syn in it. Buying it off Amazon with the shipping costs really is a waste your case. There is nothing wrong with using synthetic in an older "beater". But it sounds like your Saturn is in good shape with a very clean engine and some of the benefits of using syn for cleaning and fuel economy are moot.

I'd just buy whatever is on sale or use rebates. I have very good luck with Mobil 1 HM in mine (10W-40) but M1 0W-40 also was fine. I actually had great mileage using "German" Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 Euro formula and you can probably get that on sale at your local Autozones with a filter combo.

Personally, if you want to use syn, I think Walmart's SuperTech synthetic would be a great choice...

I drive a 2000 Saturn SL1 with the SOHC. I don't drive it hard, I change oil around 6 months/5K miles. I am not rich.

Nothing wrong with that. It's about what I do on every vehicle that I own, and never have a single issue.

Given all that, it looks like I am not a candidate for PUP---but I am thinking about it. I can get a 5-quart jug at Amazon for $43.05. Pair that with a high-end filter, maybe M-1, and it's about $53-$54. Figuring I might extend to about 10 months/6K miles with that set-up....is there any chance it would be worth the money?

I can purchase most name brand conventional oils for less than $20 for a 5 quart container (usually much less). Add $5 for a filter, and I have less than half of your estimate, and I have no qualms about going 10 months and/or 6,000 miles on plain old conventional.

Unless there was a specific reason to use it, I wouldn't waste my money on any synthetic. Especially in an "old beater", the only benefit you'll see is a lighter wallet, which may help the car get slightly better gas mileage.

The main reason I use synthetic oil most of the time and premium gas some of the time: Horsepower and hill-climbing power. I started a new job last year, 48 miles from my then-home---much of it uphill, some of it quite steep. Every little bit of oomph helped, in my 100-h.p. 1.9L SOHC.

Now I live much closer to work, it's not as big a deal. But I take good care of this beast, which I plan to run till the doors rust off.

Turns out Pep Boys here carries PUP. I can get 5 quarts plus a Fram Ultra XG filter for $43.72. Hmmm....thinking about it. Thanks for the advice.

First off sir, you are getting robbed if you pay $43 for 5 quarts.

In 2009 I did a 5000 mile test with Amsoil, M1, VWB and ST Synthetic. All were still in very good condition and had low wear indicators at that distance.

In your place since you said you're not rich, I would go with the ST Synthetic - it's usually under $18 for a 5 quart jug.

Last edited:
It's your car, run what makes you feel good. Taking care of it with regular oil changes is environmentally responsible, as long as you recycle your old oil, the long term cost differences are trivial, and well maintained cars get better gas mileage, pollute less, and delay the large environmental and energy cost of the replacement vehicle.

Personally I like to occasionally switch-up the oil brand in a vehicle, I think that it tends to dissolve the deposits left by the other brand's dissimilar additive package. Probably a trivial concern, but hey, this is BITOG.

Originally Posted By: robo339
43$ per 5 quarts you are getting robbed just go to walmart like everyone else it's 27.97$

Yup. That is what I paid. Only 2 weeks ago so it isn't out of date or anything. If it was 43 bucks, then it isn't worth it. If it is only 2-4 bucks more than other synthetics($22-$25), then give it a shot. I am more a fan of just not switcing oils though. It is a pet peeve of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back