oil for my jeeps ax-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler with a overly powerful 4 cylinder. when it originally came from the factory DaimlerChrysler recommended gl3 your lube. they have some updated the spec to include 10w30 oil. is there any engine oil that sticks out in anybody's mind as being superior in this application? other people have also used sincromesh, would that be any better? currently just fine but the previous owners didn't really do any maintenance so I'm playing catch up. also any reviews on what I should stick into the transfer case? Thanks

Pennzoil, Valvoline, RoyalPurple, Amsoil, Torco, Driven, Synmax ... have a dedicated synchro type MTL/MTF.

If you want a little more protection, Nissan and Hyundai have a great 75w85 MT fluid.

But mtx oil is not what DC and aisin recommends, they rec syn 10w30. I was wondering what brand might have a good addive pack for the application

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
a 30 weight to an 85 weight is quite the jump.

I would be skeptical.

Gear oil and motor oil are graded differently so a 30 grade motor oil and an 85 grade gear oil have very similar viscometrics and are very close.
So your skeptism is unfounded.
I suggest reading about gear oils and how they cross reference to engine oils and what is considered the viscosity equivalent. You'll be surprised

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
a 30 weight to an 85 weight is quite the jump.

I would be skeptical.

Gear oil and motor oil are graded differently so a 30 grade motor oil and an 85 grade gear oil have very similar viscometrics and are very close.
So your skeptism is unfounded.
I suggest reading about gear oils and how they cross reference to engine oils and what is considered the viscosity equivalent. You'll be surprised

I am very surprised indeed! Didn't know it worked that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back